TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I just got off the phone with my father and he was telling me about a 72 mach 1 that he might be able to get his hands on. The reason i started this thread is because the guy selling the car says it has a prototype v8 in it. says ford was testing a 500 some cubic motor in this car. guy says it will only run on racing fuel and such. also makes a bold statement of it being an 8 second car stock. care to help me out?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Never heard of such a thing. And the timing doesn't make sense either. By 72 the major car companies were cutting back on muscle cars and performance. Pressure from the insurance companies, and the EPA.

Now I'm not saying it isn't possible, just highly unlikely.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
the timing actually kinda makes sence it COULD be true ya never know? Right at 72 is when everything mostly went EPA restrictions which means if it was a prototype thats why it never made it. Without more details and pics its this topic is useless thou im willing to bet the dude droped a builty big block in along with the rest of the drivetrain to make it run 8s

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea i know. im gonna try to get dad to take me and see this thing. snap some pics and all. what doesn't make since tho is the guy said pops could have it for 5 grand??? not sure tho. i will let you know what i uncover tomorrow.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol as soon as i see it i will make him/me run that thing

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
As long as you don't have to back it into any parking spots, you're good to go, lol... That body style is hard to see out the back due to the angle of the roof. Almost bought one of those a while back until I saw that. That and the guy wanted wayyy too much for it.

Jay

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well if nothign else if the body is in good overall shape and doesnt need to much 5 g is reasonable

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
35 yr old Mustangs that don't need to much work done to to them seem to be a rarity...

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dad says body is clean. no rust and the paint is still decent. and if it runs 8's like mentioned then i think its worth it

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Traveler said:
Never heard of such a thing. And the timing doesn't make sense either. By 72 the major car companies were cutting back on muscle cars and performance. Pressure from the insurance companies, and the EPA.

Now I'm not saying it isn't possible, just highly unlikely.

I worked at a high end Ford shop that had a collection of all the oddball stuff, 427SOHC, Boss 429, Tunnel Ram 302, etc. I can assure 100% that Ford was not making a 500" test street engine in 1972, they never even put the 460 they already had available in the Mustang. In the 1970's the entire HP mindset at Ford was big bore short stroke, not big cubes.

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright talking to dad again today he says the the guy spent 300 on a full tank of gas. he also says the spell of it just reeks. what does that leave us with? alcohol? 125 pure racing?

·
Registered
859 Posts
There wasn't any car that ran 8's from the factory in 1972. The NHRA fastest ET of any class was 6.06 in 1972.

Thomas

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Look at the motor and look for an "X" in the part numbers printed/stamped on the components. Ford used X to identify some experimental/proto pieces. Not saying that would be conclusive, but it would be something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts