TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna buy one this week I think. Which one should I get? Right now I am really leaning towards the PS3 because of the free online play. Any pros and cons for both systems?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i prefer the 360. the online play has an annual fee, but its very indepth, provides mucho content, and im happy with it. If you have an HDTV, both systems have HDMI connections. The PS3 is more sought after because of the Blu Ray player, the 360 has an add-on HD-DVD player that is now dirt cheap, the downside is that the only place to get the movies now seems to be half.com but 9$ for an HD DVD works for me.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed that my HDTV has an HD-DVI jack on the rear and no HDMI. I'm not surprised though as the TV came out before HDMI got popular. I did some research and they sell DVI to HDMI cables.

Has anyone ever heard of that or used it? I'm wondering if the pic quality is as good as true HDMI...

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
well, DVI will only transmit video signal, so you will need to make sure you can audio interface also. I used a DVI-HDMI on my digital cable box and had no complaints.

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I used to be a fan of 360 but some of the games that have been released for PS3 lately are pretty amazing...

Obucina, so am i pretty much screwed with using the DVI-HDMI cable since i do not have any other external audio sources? I can't really think of a way to do it with the TV's speakers unless i'm missing something really obvious...

·
Super Moderator
10,665 Posts
My HDTV has audio input jacks just for the HDMI input; I run a computer input to it thru a DVI to HDMI cable.

For you, you need the opposite; do you have a separate headphone jack you can run to the DVI audio inputs, using a headphone to RCA adapter?

That should work; I'm not sure how synced the audio will be with the video, tho.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
The 360 and PS3 do optical and HDMI out. I think I have a DVI to HDMI connector or two somewhere, maybe even a DVI. Lemme know if you want them, cheapish. I think they're Monster cables.

Video quality should be similar. I haven't tried it, so can't say positively, but should be fine. Component cables do 1080i, HDMI does 1080p, and some of the nicer ones are able to do more in the future, or whatever they tell our salesmen.

I'm happy with the 360. Cheaper games, because it has been out longer. You can switch out the batteries, unlike the PS3, so you don't have to have extra controllers, just extra chargers. The PS3 does charge with a mini USB cable, so those are easy enough to come by, I have like five things that use them. I haven't used the PS3 or PS2 much, but it's alright. I wouldn't use either to play movies much, but HD-DVDs are cheap. I could've gotten a used HD-A30 for $100, but decided against it, since I already have a 5-disc upscaling changer with HDMI that works just fine. But HD-DVDs look awesome. Blu-Ray is expensive, unless you're getting the PS3. You can buy one for the same price as most Blu-Ray players. I had an XBox, and I wanted the 360 for compatibility, but half the games I have aren't backwards compatible. I think you need the 60GB PS3 to have backwards capability. I took the 360 on as a trade toward my Bronco, but have spent a few hundred already, but I would hate to see what I would've spent on the PS3.

I vote for 360, get some used stuff and spend less initially, and then get the PS3 down the road when you can do the same.

I talk on the 360 forums, and one guy said he likes the PS3, but misses XBox Live (his 360 took a crap on him).

Oh, a guy at work said his wife told him customers had brought BluRay movies in that were warped from the heat, so make sure whatever you get is well-ventilated!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Why you gotta dog on me bro?

Nothing wrong with Monster cables, especially when they were free... Monster power, you may as well buy your local Wal-Mart products. I got to see one of their $200 power strips go up in smoke from the Panamax rep.

·
Registered
674 Posts
ps3 has wi-fi built in, rechargeable bluetooth controllers (up to 7 per console) BLU RAY, supports bluetooth headsets for multiplayer, full 1080p resolution. decent internet browser, which i'm actually using right now... list goes on... i obviosly vote Sony, lol

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think it would be cheaper for me to go with the PS3 especially since the wifi adapter for the 360 is gonna run me another hundred. But, what also scares me is that I haven't heard many good things about the PS3's internet server compared with Xbox Live.

Also, my TV dosen't have 1080p, it only has 1080i, so would using the DVI-HDMI even be worth it compared to the regular cables?

·
Registered
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts