TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Some of you may have seen my thread in the past concerning Exploder/Mountaineer puddle lights. I wanted to fit them into the Cougar mirrors, but I didn't want to install Mark VIII mirrors either. As it turns out, our mirrors appear to be too shallow to install the lights. Also, the motor takes up most of the space within the mirror.
I decided to stick the lights under the car. Thanks to jk89cat, I got some late-'90s Exploder puddle lights and found a spot under the car to mount 'em
As you can see from the pictures, I used a cable tie to secure them to the transmission cross-member (is that what it is?). This is only temporary.
All connections on the wires were soldered, then coated with 3M liquid sealant.
The "hot" wire was traced through the firewall where it was connected into the floor lamp, therefore active with the illuminated entry system.
The pictures don't do the lights justice... it's a pretty slick effect.

All in all, I spent about four hours with the install, and everything went smoothly. If anybody has any ideas about a more secure method of mounting the lights, let me know. They are oddly shaped and cumbersome, so it will be difficult.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Pretty slick. On my car, something like that wouldn't even make it up the driveway.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That is a real good idea, but I'm with tinman_72. They wouldn't last an hour.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments. They do seem to be pretty unsafe in their positions, but I did this same thing to my '88 XR7.
I got some cheapo utility lights from Auto Zone and set them up just like I did with these Exploder lights.
They were under the car for four years and never once got damaged. Plus, they were a lot bigger than these.
If something does happen to them, y'all will be the first to know. :D

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I don't see it as useful unless it'll work with your keyless remote (No Tengo).

I'd like to see a lighted keyhole though.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My key hole lights up, did they change that in 96?

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GreenBird said:
I don't see it as useful unless it'll work with your keyless remote (No Tengo).

I'd like to see a lighted keyhole though.

It does work with the key fob. The lights are wired in with the floor lamps in the cabin, therefore they are active with the illuminated entry system.
These pictures really don't do the lights justice... it's a very cool effect.

My keyholes do not light up, which strikes me as odd. I mean, the keyholes on my '88 lit up!

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
RAYBROADWAY said:
My key hole lights up, did they change that in 96?
It was an option on all years.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Were illuminated keyholes a separate option from illuminated entry?

·
$.25 poster
1,900 Posts
must have been, becuase i have illumited entry, but no illuminated keyholes.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I figured mine only did it when opened because I don't have remote lock/unlock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts