TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I find that if I sit in a fast food drive through for a few mins idling and go to take off, there's a nice puff of smoke when I get going. any ideas might be causing this?

·
Super Moderator
9,188 Posts
Worn valve guide seals on the heads. Common issue with the 94/95 4.6 motors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I was thinking too. I'll try some max life oil that in some cases can make those seals swell a little and leak less. and maybe some thicker oil. I just don't think a 15 yr old car with 130K is worth a valve seal job. probably better just to swap the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Motor Honey

Mine used to do that, too. I add a pint of Motor Honey every once in awhile and mine doesn't do it anymore. Some might argue that is not that great for these motors with their overhead cams and no cam bearings, but I've been doing it for years and I am FAR from easy on my 'Bird.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mine used to do that, too. I add a pint of Motor Honey every once in awhile and mine doesn't do it anymore. Some might argue that is not that great for these motors with their overhead cams and no cam bearings, but I've been doing it for years and I am FAR from easy on my 'Bird.
I just started using that stuff and noticed that it doesnt huff anymore either. If it blows the motor it just gives me a reason to do a PI swap :D

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
My 95 puffed smoke pretty bad when I picked it up from Earl but ever since I switched it to 10w30 high milage maxlife semi synthetic oil from valvoline it's never done it again. If it ever does I'll put my old pi heads on it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
mine does this too. (96 XR-7) I have been researching it and trying to decide which is easier, swapping a motor from an '04 GT in, or swaping the heads and cams from one...

So far I have found that it will be cheaper to swap a complete motor then change the heads. Motor now has 318kms on it and still runs great, but I want to fix this oil burning issue and add some ponies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
okay guys, what the heck is a "PI swap"?

glad you asked:D. i have been wondering the same thing after seeing "pi" referenced frequently here.

my new to me 170k mile '95 has the worn valve guide seals and puffs a bit of smoke after idling at a long stop light also. the car was free and otherwise in excellent condition so i'm not sweating it. i may try that valvoline high mileage oil on the next change for grins.

edit: i was thinking about this the other day, but why does it only puff smoke it after idling for a while? is oil always getting by the seals and just being burnt off in smaller quantities? i am not an engine guy so i really don't understand the logic behind what is going on with this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts