TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried the paper clip trick, worked good, and had a helper write down the numbers. i had to do it twice, cuz i forgot to mention the long pauses. anywho, i discovered that all of the codes are egr related :mad: according to the tech articles, there are eight egr codes that go 3 _ _, and i have 5 or 6 of those codes written down. i dont recall exactly which ones they are, but they are all egr. what do i need to replace to get rid of these codes? bad valve? bad transducer?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
if you give me the codes I can look them up at autozone tonight ?

they cant scan your car right?

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they dont have a scanner they tell me. i have the codes and what they mean, but i dont what parts to replace.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
i think we have the obdII scanner but I think but not sure you can look up the codes online?

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chris, my car is obdI. i already said i got the codes pulled and the meanings are in the tech articles, but the tech articles do not say WHAT needs replacing. that is the purpose of this thread.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
the car is sitting (it has been for about a month) waiting for the bumper to be painted good luck with your code search

·
5,650 Posts
Well if it's EGR related then it'll be one of several things. The EGR valve might be stuck open or closed, the EGR passage in the intake might be clogged, the pressure feedback sensor might have taken a dump (pretty common), the vacuum regulator might be malfunctioning, or the vacuum lines are screwed up somehow.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chris, if it helps any, there is no rough idle, and the cel comes on a few minutes upon firing up the car, and also at high speeds, ~75-80, then goes away after slowing down to about 70. my gas mileage seems low as well.

·
5,650 Posts
If the idle isn't rough I think we can rule out the EGR valve being stuck open. With the reduced mileage and CEL at highway speeds it seems like the EGR isn't opening or isn't flowing. Highway cruising speeds are when it's commanded most often and it helps to increase MPG. Gotta get those codes to see if it's identified a single component.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, the codes i pulled are 35, 326, 335, 336, and 337.

·
5,650 Posts
35 - EGR signal voltage too high or RPM below spec during engine run test or EVP voltage high
326 - EGR sensor circuit voltage lower than expected
335 - EGR sensor circuit voltage higher or lower than expected during KOEO
336 - EGR sensor circuit voltage higher than expected / exhaust pressure high
337 - EGR sensor circuit above maximum voltage

Oh yeah, I think it's very safe to say that the pressure feedback sensor is fubar.

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alrighty. will any year 3.8 pfe sensor work?

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok. does the eec need resetting after replacing the sensor?

·
Registered
267 Posts
hey big mike ...look at the hard plastic lines on egr ..they are very brittle and crack easily ...i just got mine to pass emission test ...both lines > red and green were broken ...made cel light and code was > p0174 system too leann bank 2 < passenger side engine had 2 broken vac lines all good now ...sad for me to have to worry to fix it but car is sold on fri. nite ...something i had to do and the buyer paid for the repairs...sux now he is getting a mint car for a 94 tbird

·
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i actually thought about that. ill take a look at those lines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts