TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was paced for about 3 miles by a bike cop who rode along side at the same speed as me and kept staring at my car and glancing over at it. I was doing 65, cruise set, scan gauge2 said 64, stock cluster said 65, GPS said 64. I was traveling in the far right lane, he was traveling in the middle lane. We were on the highway speed limit was 65.

Then all of a sudden he speeds up, cuts me off, slams his brakes and turns on his lights, wtf? Then points far left... unsafe to pull over in the far left shoulder, but he's the boss... So I pull over and he begins yelling at me "Do you know why I pulled you over" Of course not knowing I said "No sir, I do not."

He said I was speeding, trying to "over take" him, and that it "gives a bad impression" to other drivers and that if he lets me get away with speeding then he might as well let everyone. Of course I was not speeding or trying to over take him in anyway, I had cruise control set and he was riding directly along side me at the same speed for the last 3 miles. I explained that to him and he said "I don't care, you were speeding, 5mph over" again tried to explain that I have 3 devices, all calibrated telling me I was doing 65. He then backs up, looks hard at the car and says "Oh well, must be those aftermarket tires" WTF!!!

Again I politely tried to explain I wasn't speeding and he cuts me off mid sentence and says "Well consider yourself lucky I'm not writing you up for the rest of the illegal modifications to your car" :mad: He then explains "Good thing it's only 5 over you'll be able to pay it online, unless of course you want to see me in court" "Sign here and have a nice day! (in the most condescending tone ever)"

So obviously I'm pretty pissed off, my speedometer is clearly calibrated correctly, wtf now??? I wasn't given a fix it ticket, I was cited for 5mph over, which I wasn't doing. The ticket says "paced" for method fwiw....

Oh and just found out this morning my Uncle passed away last night from cancer, I wanted to go and see him today, he was put in a hospice yesterday morning. Apparently he passed away last night. :bawling:

Cheers to the rest of my horrible day..... Jack Daniels your my only friend... :zbeer:

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Damn Chris dont know what to say about that. Raw deal right there. Best wishes to cope wit hte loss and the ticket. Maybe some other legal expert on here cna help with adivce on the ticket.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
What a dick! I'd go to court, screw that. What's illegal about your car?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
bump him for riding to close next time...."sorry, there was something in the road, and i swerved to miss it, sorry about the cop, he was riding in my blind spot".

and sorry to hear aboot the other...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
That sounds like you should show up in court for this one... wear a suit and tie, be polite and explain the story to the judge. Probably reduce it if he doesn't throw it out. The cop probably won't even show, especially if you ask for a continuance or two from the original date.

Say hello to ol' Jack for me...

{edit - just exactly wtf are "aftermarket tires" anyway???}

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Wow thats a load of BS, I WOULD see him in court...

Get the calibration sheets for those devices and bring them to court.

Sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's illegal about your car?
Technically speaking:

The lack of a front plate
Engine block (good luck spotting that)
Window tint on the windshield is below the ANSI line
Front windows are darker then limit, but were rolled down (I always roll down the windows turn off the car, turn on the hazards, and place my wrists at 10 and 2, and throw the keys on the dash, when I get pulled over since I've been "detained" before during traffic tickets, I also ask if I may reach into my back pocket for my wallet, and if I may reach into the glove box for insurance and registration, usually these things get me out of tickets and even warnings since it shows "respect for the safety of the traffic enforcement officer")
Car is lowered
Aftermarket exhaust
Aftermarket audio equipment
Headlights "too bright"
Clear turn signal housings
Mirage marker and front turn signal bulbs have been discontinued due to legal disputes
etc...

Most of it is BS. For example, I do not have a mounting bracket installed for the purposes of displaying the second Nevada issued license plate, I have a doctors note for the window tint, I personally perform the emissions inspections on my vehicles, suspension is above legal requirements, lights are DOT 50 state approved at time of installation, exhaust is within DB readings, audio equipment is within DB requirements, clear housings have a DOT number, etc... these are all things I have been cited for and fought before...
I feel like it's a case of guilty until proven innocent.

Thank you all for your condolences as well....

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like you should show up in court for this one... wear a suit and tie, be polite and explain the story to the judge. Probably reduce it if he doesn't throw it out. The cop probably won't even show, especially if you ask for a continuance or two from the original date.

Say hello to ol' Jack for me...

{edit - just exactly wtf are "aftermarket tires" anyway???}
Nitto INVO 255/50/17ZR DOT approved mounted on 17x7" MB motoring wheels. The are large (bulge) and aggressive looking tread.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Wow that is some crap. I've been lucky enough not to run into any pricks like that. (knock on wood) But they are out there. That being said if I see a cop behind me on a 2 lane highway I'm in the right lane slowing down just enough so he can pass me then speed back up once hes in front.

I had no idea your engine block, being lowered, and clear corners could even be considered illegal..

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Don't feel bad, I just had to pay a $147 ticket for "prudent reasonable speed" whatever the hell that means . The cop that cited me didn't even see me do anything... The other cop pulled me over, and told me I "accelerated to quickly". I was only going 25-30mph so I wasn't speeding. They were running a click it or ticket campaign , and since I was wearing my seatbelt I guess they had to write me up for something else... Then after he got all my registration stuff, he looked at my fender badge, and said" is it really a supercharged 4.6? Does that make it a 5.0 or something?" :facepalm: As if it wasn't already hard enough to be polite to this a$$ writing me a ticket I didn't deserve. I was explaining to the guy what the sc did, and this douchebag just puts his hand up to stop me mid sentence and walks off like I wasn't even talking. I think some cops think just because they have a badge, that gives them the right to do whatever they want to whoever they want... Aaaaaanyways I feel your pain man.
Btw sorry about your uncle. It's always hard to lose a loved one

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
Well if he paced you on the bike, and you had the GPS, speedometer, and scangauge all reading the same simultaneously, then that means either the speedo on the bike is improperly calibrated, or the cop doesn't care what is right and was just trying to make his quota. Actually, most likely both are the case, but since a corrupt justice system does not provide a means for justice, let's assume for a second that the speedo on the bike is improperly calibrated and nothing more. Since the bike was the device he used to clock your speed, and you doubt the accuracy of its calibration, go to court and demand that they show the last time the speedometer was calibrated on the bike. Ask for all service records on it. Ask how many miles are on the bike and how worn the rear tire was on it. Ask about the tire pressure and when was it last checked both before and after your citation, and how much pressure it loses over what period of time, and how frequently the pressures are checked. Any of those things could slightly reduce the diameter of the tire, which would make the speedo on the bike read higher than his actual speed. If they can't produce the records to show that the speedometer on the bike is accurate to within 7.5%, and was at the time of the citation as well, then you have debunked the only evidence they have, and therefore they should have no option but to drop the ticket. If you do all these things, and they produce all the correct records, then you know the cop doesn't care at all about the law and is just on a power trip, and there is really nothing you can do except hope you never run into him again. If you do all these things, and they can't provide the records, and they find you guilty anyway, then you know the entire court is corrupt and just looking for money any way they can get it, and you know to avoid that town. Lastly, if you do all these things, and they can't produce all the records, and they drop the charges, then you know that you have kept your hard-earned money in your pocket, and you can walk out of there disgusted at the fact that no punishment will come to the cop who unjustly wrote the ticket.

Any way you look at it, the options suck, but personally I would go to court and fight it just to be able to know what I was dealing with.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Uncle Chris. That's rough.

What agency pulled you over? NHP? I get followed all the time but I've never had that experience, at least down here. Wa state is another story....
I'm sure you can get that ticket turned into a parking fine if you don't want to go to court and fight it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
First off, sorry about your uncle Chris. My family sends our condolences.

About the ticket, I say fight it. You seem to be a very intellegent and informed individual that knows his stuff when it comes to DOT regs etc. You could , in a heartbeat get that thrown out imo. Also, don't know if you know this, but a cop cannot "pace" or follow you for more than 3 miles at any one given time. So if it was even a little over that 3 mile limit you can beat him on that alone. Another thing is, in most states if not all IIRC the left lane is for passing ONLY. So if he did not pass you in those 3 miles, and he was able to do so, then you have him beat on that alone.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
My condolences, Chris. I agree that the cop lied - they always do. I had the cruise set, the Garmin said I was going 60, and I got pulled over in North Carolina (what a bunch of pricks for cops y'all got up there). Cop says I was going over 70, I said no way, speedometer is perfect, and the Garmin said I was going 60 - not only that but it stores Max Speed (which I had just reset a couple of days ago) and even IT SAID MAX SPEED 62).

I blew up at him so badly he just stood there dumbfounded. I apologized and pointed out all these devices that showed ~60 mph. He just gave me a verbal warning and let me go, but still insisted I was going over 70.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I agree with 95LX4.6, just go to court with it and give your story to the judge.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
.But most cops have a very large ego..So i'd rather let them think they are king of the road...Than piss them off
Exactly, I'm sure there are more good cops than bad cops out there but I'm not taking any chances because it only takes one to ruin your day

·
Super Moderator
11,909 Posts
Sorry Chris. It may be worth your while to fight this one. You're automatically on the hook for court costs you might as well get your monies worth ...

If you really want to stick it to him spend the extra cash to let a lawyer do your dirty work. Choose one carefully. File a complaint with his department. This guy gets enough compalints it will come back to haunt him.

My condolences, Chris. I agree that the cop lied - they always do. I had the cruise set, the Garmin said I was going 60, and I got pulled over in North Carolina (what a bunch of pricks for cops y'all got up there). Cop says I was going over 70, I said no way, speedometer is perfect, and the Garmin said I was going 60 - not only that but it stores Max Speed (which I had just reset a couple of days ago) and even IT SAID MAX SPEED 62).

I blew up at him so badly he just stood there dumbfounded. I apologized and pointed out all these devices that showed ~60 mph. He just gave me a verbal warning and let me go, but still insisted I was going over 70.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I agree with 95LX4.6, just go to court with it and give your story to the judge.
Speaking of GPS ... I need to reset mine, right now it's showing max speed 132MPH :tongue:

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Well if he paced you on the bike, and you had the GPS, speedometer, and scangauge all reading the same simultaneously, then that means either the speedo on the bike is improperly calibrated, or the cop doesn't care what is right and was just trying to make his quota. Actually, most likely both are the case, but since a corrupt justice system does not provide a means for justice, let's assume for a second that the speedo on the bike is improperly calibrated and nothing more. Since the bike was the device he used to clock your speed, and you doubt the accuracy of its calibration, go to court and demand that they show the last time the speedometer was calibrated on the bike. Ask for all service records on it. Ask how many miles are on the bike and how worn the rear tire was on it. Ask about the tire pressure and when was it last checked both before and after your citation, and how much pressure it loses over what period of time, and how frequently the pressures are checked. Any of those things could slightly reduce the diameter of the tire, which would make the speedo on the bike read higher than his actual speed. If they can't produce the records to show that the speedometer on the bike is accurate to within 7.5%, and was at the time of the citation as well, then you have debunked the only evidence they have, and therefore they should have no option but to drop the ticket. If you do all these things, and they produce all the correct records, then you know the cop doesn't care at all about the law and is just on a power trip, and there is really nothing you can do except hope you never run into him again. If you do all these things, and they can't provide the records, and they find you guilty anyway, then you know the entire court is corrupt and just looking for money any way they can get it, and you know to avoid that town. Lastly, if you do all these things, and they can't produce all the records, and they drop the charges, then you know that you have kept your hard-earned money in your pocket, and you can walk out of there disgusted at the fact that no punishment will come to the cop who unjustly wrote the ticket.

Any way you look at it, the options suck, but personally I would go to court and fight it just to be able to know what I was dealing with.
My condolences chris, I'm with mikey on this one. Its alot but if you want to fight it and have them drop the ticket then do it and make em look like asses. lol

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My condolences chris, I'm with mikey on this one. Its alot but if you want to fight it and have them drop the ticket then do it and make em look like asses. lol
Make them look like asses? The government is the only type of entity in the world which will spend $1M to make back $1 in revenue.

From what I've been told, it's not cost effective in terms of time to write someone up for doing <8MPH over the limit. The revenue gained from doing so doesn't cover the cops time (not that they care about efficiency) -- let along the opportunity cost of pulling you over vs. the other guy who's doing 15 over.

This cop was just being a total a-hole. the sad part is that being in law enforcement tends to attract people with this kind of mentality (i.e.: I have a badge and I'll show him. Noone can drive faster than me! This is MY stretch of highway.). Now, not every cop is like this but this profession attracts more of these folks than say nursery school teachers.

-g

1 - 20 of 38 Posts