TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices so outrageous these days anything a person can do to improve on this is a plus. So this being said by yanking the resonator out of my car will i see any increase in gas mileage? I have heard of people losing mileage this way. Also I know it wouldnt do a darn thing in the hp dept, but thats not what Iam looking for thanks.....

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
to make sure you are getting the best gas milage you can, have a fresh tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, oil change) and make sure you have between 32 and 35 psi in your tires.

Also, reducing weight in the car not only helps with 1/4 mile times, but it will help with day to day driving. Make sure you arent carrying a lot of crap in your trunk.

The cheapest way to save gas is to keep your foot out of it... let off the gas early when stopping, start out slower, and when on the highway, stay behind big trucks

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
Litning said:
to make sure you are getting the best gas milage you can, have a fresh tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, fuel filter, oil change) and make sure you have between 32 and 35 psi in your tires.

Also, reducing weight in the car not only helps with 1/4 mile times, but it will help with day to day driving. Make sure you arent carrying a lot of crap in your trunk.

The cheapest way to save gas is to keep your foot out of it... let off the gas early when stopping, start out slower, and when on the highway, stay behind big trucks
good info, lol......:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I clocked my milage (3.8V6) with stock setup (paper filter, stock exhaust). In Vegas I got an average of 19.8 mpg out of 1 tank of gas (from E to Full). This was about 3 months after I first got my car, the only thing wrong with it at that time was rusty coolant. I gutted my exhaust about a year after that test, and retested my milage after modifications.

Here was the setup.
-Stock exhaust pipe 3.8 style
-removed muffler
-removed resonator
-K&N Panel Air Filter

I should have kept the resonator, 'cause it made my car sound a little ricey with the high pitch, but oh well, I was excited about straight pipe single exhaust back then lol. I got a new mileage (driving the same weather, similar traffic conditions, same destinations, same driving style) I clocked 22.3 mpg out of 1 tank of gas (from E to Full). That's huge. I also got a bit more kick out of it too. Probably no more than 4-8 hp, but still considering it only cost $50 to modify it, wasn't too bad for the gas money saved. That's 3mpg difference. And with the resonator on, stock pipes, removed muffler, the car has a nice deep sound (well... deep for a 3.8 V6 hehehe). If you take the resonator off, you get a ricey high pitch.

Have fun!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, all and all thats pretty much what my conclusion was for before asking. Though any input is always a plus. Thanks to all for the replies!!! Very appreciated :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I have the resonator with no cats or muffler, car has a good deep rumble at idle and sounds good when I punch it, though cant afford to do that anymore lol. With the stock pipes and the cats/muffler removed i went from 22 to 24-26 highway and from 13 to 16 city average.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Litning said:
weres the fun in that :D :rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
cougarfan said:
weres the fun in that :D :rofl:
In the long run? more money = more goodies = more fun...

still trying to figure out how to take your moon roof out? :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well since were on this subject has anyone every gotten water through there air box after doing this? I know it would be hard to do unless you barried the car in a flood, though it seems like a good spray of water could get up in there to the airbox. Just asking cause the pickup truck at work always seems to have a wet filter. Its a 02 chevy 2500 with the stock intake. And with all its curves and piping it still gets wet and it seldom rains here lately, and its not like its getting barried in water because Iam the only one that drives it.

·
The Parts Guy
7,421 Posts
Umm....they're talking about the exhaust resonator, and I believe you're asking about the intake air silencer.

As far as the removing the intake air silencer goes, it won't really affect the amount of water getting into the air box. If you're driving your car into a flood, you'll be screwed either way. :)

-Rod

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Litning said:
...and make sure you have between 32 and 35 psi in your tires.
Factory Recommendationg is 30psi on all four corners :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Depends on the kind of tires you sit on! Some recommend 45-55-65 PSI depending on rim size and profile. Low pro's in particular really, call for the high psi rating.

Me personally, I run 33psi in my tires, only because I run oversized tires on my rims. I run 235/60/R15. At least I think they're 60's.... damn now I can't remember! Either way, the things are about 3"s wider than my rim, and you can see how they spill over on either side of the rim. If the stock rim on a '96 T-Bird is 6 1/2" wide, my tires spill at least 1 1/2" on either side of the rim. Probably a 4 or 5" profile. I couldn't get Firestone to put their Firehawks on my rims, because they said it wasn't safe, but Bridgestone would put their radials on my rims and said Firestone was full of crap and probably wanted to sell me a tire I didn't want for more money. Those damn Firehawks are expensive enough!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Litning said:

I have to disagree on the staying behind big trucks. It is not only dangerous, but you can not get close enough to get into the eye of the wind drag before they can not see you. If they hit the break, you are ****ed.

You could drive the left or right of them about mid-way of the trailer (you can feel the suction) but this is dangerous too, they can see sure, but you end up blocking faster traffic (which there usualy is around big rigs) and if they have to turn or switch lanes....

Be safe and do the first few things Litning mentioned.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Dont play around with the rigs. One guy I worked with used to drive long haul, what he said was "If your gonna pass a truck pass it, dont get to close cause if something happens blow out etc your dead"

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Thomas said:
Factory Recommendationg is 30psi on all four corners :)
I was suprised when the owners manual for my Town Car said that the tires should be at 30psi. My Cougar says 32psi.... what ever. :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
in the passenger door jamb it says 32psi?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Dunno, I'll look. Do you mean drivers door?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'll be.... the manual says to check the right front inside door frame. It is 30psi. I could have swarn it was 32psi. Old age.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts