TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this sound thats coming from one of my pullies...at about 1800-2300 revs...its a...its almost sounds like my car has a supercharger...a slight high pitched wine....thats the only way i can describe that...it is rather loud...because its clearly herd over my intake and rumble :D....see if you guys know anything..thanks

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Sounds like the bearing is dying. The idler pulleys are roughly $12 replace it

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
its not the first gear whine is it?

do a manual first gear and drive it around the neighborhood... tell me if thats the sound you are hearing...

MG

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nooooo...heh...this is different sounding than that...it dosent have that pulsiating sound with it like the gear wine does

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yeah its probably a bearing on one of the gears. I know that I had a car that it came from the alternator. It isn't all that uncommon. You just have to get your head close to the pulleys to see which one is doing it without getting anything caught. If it is the alternator it can be a beginning to it going bad. However, it could still last a long long time, so long as the bearing doesn't disenagrate.

·
Registered
658 Posts
i just replaced my idler pulley and my tensioner pulley today i have a wine too. take your belt off and give all your pulleys a spin. i replaced the two that made noise. now all i hear is the sweet rumble from the pipes.

·
8,239 Posts
most parts stores carry the gates brand pulleys for the 4.6 over the counter, they are a bit cheaper than ford. I think there are three idlers to check. Just pull them off and check them all, if they feel like the bearing is hung up at all, then replace them.

Heck I would replace all the idler pulleys at once, and take a good look at if you need a serpentine belt, real simple deal to replace those also on a tbird.

JH

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yes do check because a supercharger sound coming from your engine could very well also be an alternator, but then you might also be having other issues, so check them let us kno

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
thunderchicken17 said:
my alternator on my car has aways made a noise even the new one did
Mine did too just before the bearing went. I would check it for two things:

1. Is it level? Is it installed right?
2. Does the pulley have any flat spots?

If not to the above then your bearing may be going. Possibly you pciked up a bad Alternator. It happens you know?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's probably your altenator, mine whines too but I'm going to replace my tensioners and idlers too. I had another car puke a tensioner before and it sucks because there's no limping home if it happens on the road.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
replacing everythings overkill, save yourself some hassle, check stuff before you just going and replace it

1 - 12 of 12 Posts