TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have about 2000 dollars in hand soon and plan on putting it into my car. I have a 1991 Cougar Ls 5.0 . Engine has 72000 miles on it and was owned by a little old lady when I bought it. So far I have added a Superchip, 70mm MAS, and K&N filer charger kit. I have removed the silencer also.

Here is what I want to add.

Heads (Trickflow 61cc, 2.02 in. intake/1.60 in. exhaust valves, stud mount rockers, aluminum, cylinder heads
Intake (Trickflow Street
Headers (JBA's)
Cam (Trickflow 275 intake/279 exhaust duration, hydraulic roller, EFI
Rockers (1.6 ratio, CNC-machined, roller)
Throttle Body (Ford 65MM or should I go 70?)

I realize it comes to over 2000 but I just planned on building and selling a couple of computers or selling my computer to make up the difference. Is this the way to go parts wise? What can I expect to run with this? Any different recommendations? You guys are the experts I figured I would check here before I spend 2500 to find out I should have gone a different way. I know eventually I will need to replace the tranny (it runs fine but after all is a ford original trans) and I will get the torque converter then, actually I am thinking of putting a manual trans in it, if its not too much of a hassle getting the parts I would need)

Also what about these heads? http://www.powerheads.com/???

Thanks in advance all.

·
Registered
366 Posts
with a bigger cam you will definitly need a higher stall torque converter. If you want to give your tranny more life now, and esspecially after a torque converter, spend $60 for a good tranny cooler. I also sugerst doing a shift kit in it, but not a B&M shift kit, they burn up trannies faster than they save them.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What about...

Gears? Stall? Shift Kit?

Putting that kind of power through a stock AOD and rear end would be disasterous.. you'd be breaking something right away. If you are going to modify, do it right the first time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: What about...

drivex said:
Gears? Stall? Shift Kit?

Putting that kind of power through a stock AOD and rear end would be disasterous.. you'd be breaking something right away. If you are going to modify, do it right the first time.
yea like I said, I know the tranny will need to be replaced, thats a given. I plan on taking the gamble that the stock trany will last about six months, I dont put that many miles on the car (maybe 4000 a year). I did plan on putting 3.73's in the back also. But will the engine combo I plan to get work properly, or is there a better route was my question.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts