TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last friday night i was at the track and blew a hole in my purge line. this is the 3rd time this has happened, so i havent fixed it yet. i was wondering what you guys are using for your purge lines?

the nos purge kit i got came with a brass tube but it was only 12" long so i just attached plastic/vinyl tubing from a hardware store to make up the difference. am i using the right tubing or is there something other than the plastic/vinyl that i can use?

what are you guys using?

Frank

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Frank, the line I am using I believe has a pressure rating..I am not sure though. Are you sure that the line doesn't run against anything really hot, because if it does it will blow when the ice cold nitrous goes though it. That was my problem like 4 times, until we re routed the line.

I have heard of using brake line for the purge line.....

Dave

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont think its touching anything hot. i even put wire loom around it the last time just in case

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DMcBrideBoston said:
Isn't wire loom plastic? If so how would that help something, wouldn't it heat up as well?
yea its not touching anything hot. i put the wire loom on to prevent rubbing on anything, in case that was the issue.

DMcBrideBoston said:
If it's not touching anything, I'd say the pressure is too much for the line,.
i figured this much.

anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks keith, i might give that a try

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Just find a line that has a pressure rating as vac line does not make it at all. Fuel line will work but it is too damn big. Burlington auto parts has the line that I am using with no problems. It is clear and has a pressure rating of like 60lbs.

Mark

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the suggestions guys. i'm gonna head over to home depot on friday and and see what i can muster up. what size copper tubing are you using? and mark, what size tubing are you using?

Frank

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Not actually in yet, too lazy. I blew my plastic line so I bought this stuff since other people I know use it.

Soft Copper Tube (it's bendable), 1/4 OD
my 20ft roll came in a little box, made by JMF. Should be easy to spot.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aaron_T said:
Not actually in yet, too lazy. I blew my plastic line so I bought this stuff since other people I know use it.

Soft Copper Tube (it's bendable), 1/4 OD
my 20ft roll came in a little box, made by JMF. Should be easy to spot.
yea only reason i ask is cus the place in the grill where i had the purge exiting was kind of a tight fit for the tubing i'm using now which is 3/16" OD. 1/4" is close though so it should be ok.

Frank

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
fdawg97lx said:

yea only reason i ask is cus the place in the grill where i had the purge exiting was kind of a tight fit for the tubing i'm using now which is 3/16" OD. 1/4" is close though so it should be ok.

Frank
You should be fine. When I was looking for a spot on my car I was able to get 1/4 OD plastic tubing through without much fight. I can check on my car to make sure if you want.
Another good thing about this tubing is once it's bent however you need, you won't have to worry about it moving around or straightening out.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aaron_T said:

You should be fine. When I was looking for a spot on my car I was able to get 1/4 OD plastic tubing through without much fight. I can check on my car to make sure if you want.
Another good thing about this tubing is once it's bent however you need, you won't have to worry about it moving around or straightening out.
yea the slot where my puge line was coming out is right above the birds head in the grill. its only like half of a honeycomb in the grill. u dont have to check, i'll make it fit ;) .

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i went with polyurethane hose. 1/4 o.d. says it can handle up to 150 psi, the hose i was using before could only handle up to 65 psi. if i blow the polyurethane, i'll go to brass.

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the polyurethane hose is working out fine so far. i used it all day yesterday and it didnt blow. thanks for the help guys.

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
DMcBrideBoston said:
Just blew mine yesterday...Time to replace again...

Will they freeze up in out horrible winter temps or should we be okay.

Dave
i'm not sure. i'll probably fill the bottle one more time this week for next weekend if i go to the track and once it runs out i'll just leave it empty for the winter since i dont use it on the street to much anyway.

frank

1 - 20 of 23 Posts