TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was bored as hell with my friends, so we decided what the hell. I just found my pep boys gift card in my wallet and was like hell yeah! So I went down to the store and picked up a $22 cone filter.

We ripped out the stock airbox and slapped the cone on.
Started it up, no difference in sound there.
Rev it up, little difference in the intake sound.

The difference while driving is pretty cool though.
I can hear the difference the most in the 3500-5200 range.

Probably didn't gain any power but it sounds cool and was free thanks to my year old gift card.

Fun day, I guess. :D Tommorrow some cutouts are going on to piss off the neighbors. :tongue:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL I can tell you're 17.... No, I'm not making fun of you. I wish I was 17 myself! I just remember thinking the same way when I was that age.

I've actually thought of cut outs but for racing, not pissing off the neighbors. (They already hate the true duals, DI/DO magnaflow, and no cats)

The cone filter not only didn't gain you any power, it may have cost you some. It is now breathing hot engine compartment air instead of the cool air from under the fender. (if its anything like a 97 breather anyway) But, it won't hurt anything and as you said it sounds cool! :D

Have fun with the bird, thats what its all about...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love when people say im 17 :rolleyes:

But yeah I no I didn't gain any power.
I was bored and said what the hell.

All my friends had their parents buy them cars and they still say that mine is the best.

I got my bird for $2000. I'm definately having fun with it. :D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The only reason I figured you were 17 is your info below your avatar... ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I love when people say im 17 :rolleyes:
Why? Do you fancy yourself one of the 1/100,000 17yr old males who actually show a little bit of common sense? LOL, sorry i don't know too many of those. I wasn't one of them either...

If you don't like people pointing out your age, or judging you by your age, then remove it from your profile. Show a little common sense instead of *****'in about it. ;)

If you like the sound of it and don't care about the power loss then you got your moneys worth, but you could of spent it on something useful. Maybe detailing supplies or something else (that's not in the APC aisle lol)? :zdunno:

·
Registered
316 Posts
electric cutouts are sweet. flip a switch and you get all that sound you love, and flip it back so your neighbors dont complain...or worse, you get a ticket for bieng hella loud.

i had no cats and magnaflows...i couldnt even roll out of a stop without a cop pulling me over...

as of now, the exhaust on this car is stock...but i wouldnt mind the electric cutouts...

have fun with your car...do what you like to it, even if you like apc stuff on it...thats not some old guys decision..its yours.

oh, and if yuo dont already have a heatshield, get a heatshield...or build one....thats all i have to say about the filter...

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well unlike the K&N filter most of the stuff I see in the APC aisle is just cheap junk regardless of it's bling factor, that's all. I could care less about his personal tastes it's his car, do what ya want and have fun with it.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
electric cutouts are sweet. flip a switch and you get all that sound you love, and flip it back so your neighbors dont complain...or worse, you get a ticket for bieng hella loud.

i had no cats and magnaflows...i couldnt even roll out of a stop without a cop pulling me over...

as of now, the exhaust on this car is stock...but i wouldnt mind the electric cutouts...

have fun with your car...do what you like to it, even if you like apc stuff on it...thats not some old guys decision..its yours.

oh, and if yuo dont already have a heatshield, get a heatshield...or build one....thats all i have to say about the filter...
Yea, it got louder than I anticipated it would after taking the cats out. I'm toying with the idea of leaving the DI/DO magnaflow in (I like the "X" in the middle) and replacing a section of straight tube (between the downtubes, and the magnaflow) with a pair of old fashioned glasspacks. That may quiet it down a little without adding a lot of back pressure.

The cutouts just seem like a lot of fun, but I've gotten past that stage in my life... ;) as for the cone filter... thats why I am using a Mustang GT air filter. Large Cone filter that flows a lot of air, built in heatshield.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Michael,

How loud did it get ?

Tony
hhmmm Well, you know that deep sound that I wanted?? I got it, plus some volume... Its not bad at idle, or if I keep my foot out of it. But when I open it up it does roar!

·
Registered
674 Posts
Ha, mine consists of two down tubes going into one magnaflow high flow cat, and out to a turndown... mufflers are over-rated, lol. it's actually not that loud. i'm gonna trade that cat for a muffler pretty soon though, just cant have both at the same time apearently.... lol.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Why? Do you fancy yourself one of the 1/100,000 17yr old males who actually show a little bit of common sense? LOL, sorry i don't know too many of those. I wasn't one of them either...

If you don't like people pointing out your age, or judging you by your age, then remove it from your profile. Show a little common sense instead of *****'in about it. ;)

If you like the sound of it and don't care about the power loss then you got your moneys worth, but you could of spent it on something useful. Maybe detailing supplies or something else (that's not in the APC aisle lol)? :zdunno:
Hey now...I show common sense as well bud. :tongue:
Have fun with the LX. Atleast until you find a Supercoupe like I did. :tongue:

If I was you though, if you plan on keeping the car for awhile, make sure to save some money and get a nice J-Modded transmission put it. It really wakes up the car. A nice t-lok 3.27 dif. wouldn't hurt either. I'd also look at a complete rebuild of the suspension, and then move to a nice aluminum explorer motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts