TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need some insight here. This is a question that we have to answer in my Computer Organization class (don't ask me how it relates)...

"A missionary lost in Southern California stops at a fork in the road. He knows that two motorcycle gangs inhabit the area, one of which always tells the truth and one of which always lies. He wants to know which road leads to Disneyland. What question should he ask?"

This has been bugging me for 4 days now. Keep in mind you can only ask one question.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I've heard this before (not verbatum, but very similar). I used to know the answer to this, but I can't think of it right now. I'll go off and think about it while I'm at class.

Joe

·
Registered
216 Posts
One question only? Or one question for each motorcycle gang?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Yeesh my head hurts.

Unless there's some hidden condition I'm not aware of, you could ask the gang : "What would the other motorcycle gang tell me? Road A or Road B?" If it's the gang that tells the truth, they'll tell you truthfully the wrong road. If it's the gang that always lies, they'll lie to you and tell you the wrong road. Either way, you know which road is the wrong way, so you take the other road.

I think. :leftright :tongue:

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that would work! The only thing is that you don't know which gang is which. But if the gang that tells the truth tells you the road the lieing gang would say, and they lieing gang tells you the wrong road, then you have a match and should go down the other road. That's it, it has to be!

·
Registered
216 Posts
assured negative :)

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
you can't ask directly "does this road take me to disneyland" you have to ask something outside of that...something like "where does this road take me?"

have to get them to answer it for you ....hmmmmmmmmmm

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
oh, and the question directly relates to computer organization. You're attempting to force a user to put what is ideally 100% valid info, regardless if they know what they're doing or not

I think inuyasha! got the right idea...

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you were to ask "where does this road take me?", then it would still be up in the air. Both gangs would give an answer, but you still wouldn't know which gang is telling the truth. I'm still with inuyasha on this one.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
JeffTBird93 said:
If you were to ask "where does this road take me?", then it would still be up in the air. Both gangs would give an answer, but you still wouldn't know which gang is telling the truth. I'm still with inuyasha on this one.
but you still only have 1 question to ask, not two, so you're still unsure who is telling the truth and who isn't.

There's some sorta blend of both inuyasha!'s question and mine that'd have to work. can't ask two questions in one, like "if you're the group of liars, which way would you tell me disneyland is" -- that make it somewhat easier

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
but you said you can only ask 1 question, not two?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
inuyasha's answer is correct.

you can ask "which road will the other gang say is the road to Disneyland?" and then use the other road cause you will get the wrong one (you always get the oposite of what you ask because one gang always lies).

But the best question is "Which road will the other gang say is NOT the road to Disneyland?" and then you have the correct road without having to add the take the oposite road clause.

trust me and inuyasha, I have been driving people crazy with a variant of this riddle for years.

rob

·
Registered
987 Posts
How would askin what the other would say solve it?

Gang A = honest
Gag B = liars

You ask A they tell you B will lie. You ask B they tell you A will lie. Then you still don't know which is which.

Sam

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Look at it this way...

Gang A - Honest
Gang B - Liars

Road 1 - Right
Road 2 - Wrong

You ask A what the other gang will say. They tell you the truth by saying B will tell you Road 2 (which is the wrong road).

You ask B what the other gang will say. They lie and tell you that the honest gang will say Road 2 (still the wrong way).

When you combine both answers, you know that Road 2 can not possibly be the right road.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts