TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question, if you put breathers in both covers, i would not affect the idle or anything else specific?! I had some issues with the valve on the pass side... Just wanted to ask before i commit to buy. Also, any specific brands for the breathers?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I see you're in Texas, so this probably wouldn't affect you, but having those would cause a visual inspections failure on an emissions test.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
what do they do? if u dont mind me asking....

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
I have one on my driverside, didnt change/hurt anything. I got a chrome ricerzone one.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
It will let metered air vent to the atmosphere, specifically air from blow by.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
GreenBird said:
It will let metered air vent to the atmosphere, specifically air from blow by.

and that improves what and how?

sorry if this is dumb question

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
smitty2919 said:
and that improves what and how?

sorry if this is dumb question

nothing, it does nothing good for the engine. In a fuel injected and computer controlled application, you want to monitor and measure all incoming air into the engine for optimum performance.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
soo then need i ask why Tx Cat is doing this? looks?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Open element breathers may be used in engines with high compression which can build up pressure in the valve covers or one that may have substantial blowby from worn out piston rings .. so as not to get oil into the intake.
Our engines have a PCV valve - Positive crankcase ventilation.
So it is not necessary to use a breather .. people just do it for looks not really understanding the purpose of a breather.

- Dan

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
thanks Dan

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yep, blow by is probably the biggest reason to do this. I had to do it on my old truck because it was pretty much putting oil in the intake constantly.

Even if the motor is running fine, the mist of the oil will eventually end up on the intake. Also oil creates detonation; though it wouldn’t matter at WOT since the PCV valve closes then. Some people put a filter between the PCV valve and intake to filter out the oil and keep the PCV valve operational.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Thats why I have a water / oil seperator after the PCV on my SC engine, lots of oil ends up in the bottom of the lower intercooler tube and intake eventually.

The PCV valve relieves pressure when there is positive pressure in the crankcase, like at idle. When the engine is under vacuum, there is negative pressure which is when the PCV valve should close.

- Dan

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
it wouldnt effect idle with putting two on and pluging up the inlet tube from the MAF and the manifold. With one breather on the driver side and still using a PCV the car would have an vaccum leak because the PCV would be sucking in unmetered air. The only concern with not having a PCV is emmisions and most importantly there would be bad ventilization of the crankcase. Fumes would contaminate the oil quicker and cause the vapors to become acidic wearing out seals faster. Basically you would be going back to the early 1900s were they only had a vent tube and oil leaks like crazy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts