TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a pi head swap on a 97 mustang gt and put in comp 262h cams and bbk shorty headers.

Any tricks or advise on how to deal with the oil stick tube while trying to install the driver head with the header attached? It was a real pain to get off and can just imagine how much fun it will be to put on with the bigger header attached. passenger side should be okay.

I installed the cams and the timing mark looks more like 11 o'clock than 10:30. is this okay, is it possible they have some degrees built in? I am a noob at this and I had expected when you turn the cam it would be smooth and continuous but it makes like 4 sudden lurches per revolution. Now when it is at the 11 o'clock that should correspond to #1 TDC. Those valves are completely closed. on the driver side the third piston is TDC but on the head the valves are partially open. Is this not right or am I thinking too much?

Can I check for valve interference by putting on the chains and tensioners without torquing down the heads first? Don't want to ruin the head gasket or the head bolts and only find I got a problem.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Why not just take the dipstick out until you get the head on? It should be easy enough to wiggle it back down through. I'm not sure how a Mustang's is compared to ours, but I believe the dipstick goes down through the header.

Don't worry if the cam isn't smooth as you turn it. It'll be 'jerky' like you said it was.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff you made me touch my computer screen with your roaming gnat.

The dipstick is out and if I thought it was just a matter of sliding it back in all would be good but I couldn't just pull it out when the heads were on the car and it was an sob to get it out with the heads already loose. I will just make war on it I guess. I have read other threads where guys complain the dipstick is one of the more frustrating things of a head swap.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
if i'm not mistaken if you look at the guide posted here for the pi swap it says the dipstick tube has to be replaced with the newer ones to work with the new heads.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a new dipstick with the head changing kit which is a good thing because I severely abused the old one getting it out. Hope getting the new one in will be easier than coming out.

Another thing that puzzles me is the head guide dowels. The engine already has them so why new ones?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts