TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm in the (very) slow process of saving money and modding my 96 bird.

So far I have a tweecer on the way here as I type, and putting on a tranny cooler this weekend.

I drive this car daily, and do a fair bit of hwy driving, not overy worried about going fast, but I am worried about fuel milage.

I will be changing gear sets soon, more than likely going to either 3.27 or even 3.08s.

I also see that the aode trans has a (very) smaller OD 4th, .67 vs the 4r70w .7.

I play on having the tranny built for my (eventual) turbo stroker build, Is it possible to swap the od gear from the aode into my 4r70w?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
The AOD gearset is notoriously weaker than the 4R70W's. Your car also has a 3.27 stock from the factory. If you're concerned with fuel mileage, you can go to a 3.08 (or if you're absolutely sure you don't care about the loss of torque multiplication) even a 2.73 to keep the highway RPM down.

However a better way to get more fuel economy is to get the car tuned by someone who knows what they're doing and to ensure that all the regular maintenance items are taken care of. When stock it wasn't uncommon for my car to get averages of 30 MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see, well ty for that, I wasnt aware the gearset was weaker, that is good to know.

I have done all regular maint, car has fresh set of wire, plugs, and coils. I change the oil every 3k and run full synthetic. Tranny gets a fluid change every 10k.

Last long road trip I went on (600+ miles) I averaged about 24 mpg.... I had the cruise set @ 75 most of the way (speed limit is 70 most of that trip), also had a fair bit of luggage.

I have a 97 lincoln conti, that with the same load of ppl and luggage gets about 27 @ the same speeds.

And I think your right, i'll likely go with the 3.08's

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resurrecting an old thread of mine here. Since posting this, i have learned that you never make top gear pulls with this trans.

Something about the OD band not being all that strong.

Knowing this. Would it still be ill advised to say swap just 4th from the aode trans when i build/rebuild this trans?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If memory serves you already have the 2" OD band (the best available to my knowledge). Mechanically a AODE is a 4R70W if you are to swap any it would need to be 03+.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You have to swap all the gears this transmission only has one planetary set and the aode overdrive is very close to 4r70w anyway, the 1st gear of 4r70w makes the car launch better, but aod(E) gearset is more evenly spaced. All 4r70w's have a 2 inch band it's the late mechanical diode that is so much better.
Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts