TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I'm an enthusiast auto wrencher (vs someone who is a professional mechanic) and over the course of the last few years, i've almost worn through my second pair of coveralls.

I find coveralls particularly convenient because it never get's unbearably hot in the Bay Area and I prefer to get them filthy vs. my own clothes. The downside is that the coveralls get so disgusting that my wife doesn't let me wash them in our own washer (necessitating the occasional visit to a laundromat).

Anyway, the last two pairs came from a thrift shop in SF and I think I paid $10-15 for them (clothing by the pound). I always seem to wear them out at the knees first and despite a few patches, the last pair is on its last legs.

I've looked and found two pairs at what I view are a fair price <$40.

Since some of you folks wear this stuff for a living, I'd appreciate your feedback on these two coveralls and/or other brands that I might look for that would suit my needs and budget. I understand that the workwear Dickies at Walmart has a few corners cut vs the kind found at a real supply shop. Do any of you have direct experience here?

Dickies Long Sleeve Deluxe Coverall – Blended $34.19
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_3ZZVA45997201P

Red Kap Twill Action Back Coverall - $34.42
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_041CR004000P

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Regards,
-g

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
Look for something with Double knees if thats where youre wearing them out.

I use Carhartt's .. but theyre a bit more expensive and can get pretty warm.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
I say Dickies.

I wear shorts and flip flops working under and over my heap.
What do I know.

My Fire Dept. jump suites had zipper top pockets, thats why I chose the dickies.

·
Super Moderator
11,862 Posts
+1 for the Carhartt's.

Dickies vs. Red Kap is like Coke or Pepsi ... It's up to your personal pref.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I don't use coveralls but having gone to Carhartt jeans I say go with their coveralls. There is a reason they cost more.

I have a problem ripping back pockets and with Carhartts being lined and thicker materiel I haven't even snagged them yet. Every pair looks basically like I just got them.

They anit cheap but IMO the quality is worth the cost. Seems the older I get initial cost is less important and overall quality is more important.

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
Use kneepads; it helps a lot.

I can move around a car much easier in pads, lol.

Getting old sux; I don't recommend it. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I just use Dickies from wal-mart. Separate shirts and pants. Which ever one bites the dust, gets replaced. Buy enough sets that you will always have a clean one for that week, that way you can just wash it all at the laundromat at the end of the week.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
I will add as well Carhartt's have been serving me well for many years , Like most things you get what you paid for , and the same with shoes. Rockports are the only shoes I buy.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My long sleeve coveralls say C. E. Schmidt. Can't remember where I bought them but they have lasted a while.

I wear Carhartt blue jean overalls with shoulder straps in the summer months. They are about shot, though. They also seem to have shrunk in the wash the past two years. :)

Time to get a new pair, I reckon.

I picked up this Craftsman knee pad from Sears last year and it has been a godsend.

Much better for your knees than asphalt or a thin piece of cardboard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts