TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several of you folks are pretty nerdy so I'm hoping for a suggestion. I supposed i could learn how to write something in python to do this and deploy it on my raspberry pi i have setup as a pihole BUT i'm hoping I can find something I can schedule on my Windows 10 "server" that lives in the corner of my home office.

1) I'm looking for a free web scraper tool I can program to log into a 1-2 different accounts and pull pricing info for comingled pool funds.
- These are basically like mutual funds but have lower fees because they are a) only available to institutional and not individual investors and b) they don't have a ticker symbol nor do they need to publish pricing info publically. This makes agreegating all of the data into google sheets doubly annoying.
2) I then want this data published in some way where I can
  • Ideally, the data is plugged straight into Google Sheets. I suppose I can create a publically writable sheet that contains just this info.
  • Or maybe an RSS feed.
  • Or, I can publish the info as a tweet (just two numbers with no explanation), can setup a burner twitter/whatever acct.
  • Or even just upload the info as a text file to my personal domain website.
3) Once the info I want (daily price info) is available on a publically accessible website, I can have my own private asset portfolio tracking google sheet pull data from this file.

I know this is possible using some libraries and Python but i was hoping for something easier for me to setup. Depending on the company, I might be Ok with a cloud service as well. What I'm not willing to do is pay a monthly fee just to get this info.
- I looked at Octoparse but I cannot get it to pull the data regularly. It also seems like my only options to write data out would be to a text file and/or an API (so I'd still have to code something in python to upload the data where I want it to go).

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
-g

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So the two websites I wanted to scrape investment holdings data from are Fidelity and Transamerica.
I found Flatly.io which seems to take care of Fidelity via PLAID API...but it only worked once. I'm trying to figure out how to get that stabilized and to limit exposure to the rest of my data (perhaps via a secondary google acct).

Transamerica is a less popular website/company so finding a similar tool to flatly is going to be harder if I don't roll my own.
-g

1 - 2 of 2 Posts