TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I'm finishing up my splitport project and after attaching all the vacuum lines and getting the thermostat housing installed properly, my next step was to refill the coolant system.

In doing so I found that my new waterpump was seeping slightly at one corner (driver side). I double checked the tightness of all the bolts/nuts around the WP and even with everything nice and snug, there's still a drip so I suspect that I nicked my waterpump gasket during installation (it happened once before).

No big deal but if I'm going to do this again, I wanted to solicit all of your feedback for tips on how I can do this right.

For starters, I think my gasket I purchased was too flimsy (CORTECO 57c @ rockauto). It's super thin.

1) Unless you folks think it will make absolutely no difference, I'm going high dollar and springing for the Felpro one at $2.99

2) I also plan to use some gasket adhesive to tack this thing on so it doesn't move during the WP installation (a friend just introduced me to this 3M product).

Q: Should I use any RTV around this gasket? If so, where (on both sides or just one side? I have lots of black RTV but someone else recommended blue RTV? Any thoughts here?

Some other folks have told me that they used Permatex gasket maker w/o any gasket material....

Q: Any other tips?


Thanks in advance for your replies.
-g
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
I use the paper gasket ( Felpro ) .. RTV on both sides, I have been using Permatex 1 minute gasket maker. ;)
 

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
Joined
·
9,365 Posts
I used a fel-pro paper gasket and permatex thermostat housing gray rtv on both sides of the gasket as well. No leaks so far...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
I always use felpro gaskets on everything and RTV on the side of the wareable part. So RTV on the pump side. I have never had one leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
I made my gasket from the rubber gasket paper, and used rtv black. No issues. Total cost was 7 bucks plus I got a thermostat gasket out of it and still have some left over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
I always use felpro gaskets on everything and RTV on the side of the wareable part. So RTV on the pump side. I have never had one leak.
The timing cover side could be wearable also - if somebody used a prying tool to remove the old pump, the timing cover could get nicked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,417 Posts
With molded rubber/plastic or metal/rubber gaskets I use adhesive spray only. On paper gaskets I use Right Stuff Black RTV using a glove I lightly skim coat both sides of the paper gasket, wire brush the block surface, clean the area thoroughly with brake clean and an air nozzle and install the part and coated gaskets. I never have issues that way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,309 Posts
With molded rubber/plastic or metal/rubber gaskets I use adhesive spray only. On paper gaskets I use Right Stuff Black RTV using a glove I lightly skim coat both sides of the paper gasket, wire brush the block surface, clean the area thoroughly with brake clean and an air nozzle and install the part and coated gaskets. I never have issues that way.
Gets the job done quick too .. in and out the door with no waiting to cure. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,417 Posts
Gets the job done quick too .. in and out the door with no waiting to cure. :D
No cure time and no comebacks. What more could guys like you and I ask for? Lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a FELPRO gasket I picked up from Autozone last night and found that it was thicker than the cheapy stuff I bought from Rockauto (CORTECO @ 57c -- a steal if it had actually worked worth a darn).

I also spent another 20 min scraping the contact surface of the timing cover even more before attempting a reinstall of the water pump. Finally, I used the yellow gasket adhesive from 3M my friend recommended.

No leaks this time. I refilled the system and left it overnight.

I figure the drip was a combination of the WP gasket moving during install the first time plus an ever so slightly uneven surface at the point of drippage.

I now just need to get a proper length intake tube (already have one lined up) an change the oil (I think some coolant got into the oil during the head gasket upgrade and we are overdue for an oilchange after the last race weekend+track day).

My SP DIY is mostly written up now but I want to confirm the last few items (the devil's in the details) before posting.

-g
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top