TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for my next 24 Hours of Lemons race, I'm being extra-OCD right now and doing a complete inventory of all my spare racecar parts.

I've gotten spares for everything I can think of now: I started with all the parts I've pulled from the four donor cars I chopped up at Dan's but have now backfilled my parts inventory with spare UCAs, LCAs, and tie rods just in case something bad happens.

After 3 races where we were taken out by engine problems, I'm dead set on trying to race flag to flag.

Anyway, I have these two items which I believe are from the front end but would appreciate clarification as to what they are. I don't think they are tie rod ends or stabilizer bar endlinks....

I suspect that if these get broken, a whole bunch of other bits on my front end will also be destroyed.

Thanks in advance for your quick ID.

Regards,
-g

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I beLieve those are the strut rods? On end attaches to k member and the other side to Lower control arms. Im assuming and sticking with saying those are in fact strut rods. Ill let the more experienced members school us or solidify my expansion of mn12 knowledge.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If you break one of those you have hit something solid and are probably done.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you break one of those you have hit something solid and are probably done.
Yeah, that's what I assumed. I just wanted to inventory them correctly.
Thanks.

Basically, right now, the only thing that I don't seem to have (short of an identical race-prepped tbird to which I could swap a transponder onto) is a set of the hard fuel lines + the two rubber hoses that end in springlock connectors.

One of my friends who helped part out one of the two 5.0 donor cars cut the line at the fuel rail before I could yell at him to stop (it's so hard to find good help these days :).

The remaining 5.0 donor car gave me the hardlines + fuel lines I use on the racecar chassis (apparently the lengths are wrong for the 3.8L lines that were originally on the chassis).

I also need some spare rear calipers but I already bugged Dan about them (he should have them in his parts mountain).

-g

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
If you are concerned about the flexible part of the fuel line, you can cut those off the hard line, and cut the spring clip fittings out as well, and use fuel injection hose with clamps to make it any length you want.

And to reiterate what others have said, if you hit something hard enough to break or even bend a strut-rod, you would need that identical race-prepped tbird, since at that point they would have had to go through quite a bit of front end structure, and the car likely wouldn't even be repairable, let alone finishing that race. Really the only purpose those would serve at a lemons race is if someone needs to cut one of them up for something.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
You can buy the proper high pressure fuel line and connectors from RA; It isn't terribly expensive. 2 feet was ~$10, but that's been awhile.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ayyyy all my hours of tccoa searches are showing dividends. I got to give thank to the vetran members for all their input on various thread that taught me. It never falls on deaf ears or in this case no blind eyes.

:nerd: :nerd:

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are concerned about the flexible part of the fuel line, you can cut those off the hard line, and cut the spring clip fittings out as well, and use fuel injection hose with clamps to make it any length you want.

And to reiterate what others have said, if you hit something hard enough to break or even bend a strut-rod, you would need that identical race-prepped tbird, since at that point they would have had to go through quite a bit of front end structure, and the car likely wouldn't even be repairable, let alone finishing that race. Really the only purpose those would serve at a lemons race is if someone needs to cut one of them up for something.
Thanks Mike:
I will place these parts with the rest of the items that I will leave in my garage and filed under the items that I will likely only repair if we've already packed this car in for the weekend. Other bits that I don't anticipate being able to replace during a race weekend: front radiator brace (cut the entire nose off a donor), ABS module w/ all the brake hard lines.

Of course, if we get really ambitious, the parts will only be ~1.5 hours away from the racetrack at my house in SF.

-g

1 - 9 of 9 Posts