TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I have two desktops in my life: one is a HTPC that also doubles as a gaming system and another that is my "server". I got tired of my stability issues with my XFX RX480 video card in the HTPC (would crash every time a moderately GPU intensive game would launch despite trying all sorts of throttling settings) so I finally RMA'd it. XFX send me back an RX580 Black ver but unfortunately, when I installed it, I fried the old motherboard (it was an I5-3470 aka 3rd gen dating back to 2012 on a Gigabyte board). It's definitely dead (won't even post or make beep codes when outside of the case)
This forced me to buy a new CPU&MBD combo. unfortunately, I also had to buy new ram as the 8th gen Intel and 2nd gen Ryzens all require DDR4. This then left me with 16GB of DDR4. I'm waiting for the DDR4 mem to come in and by HTPC should be back in business.

I thought about selling it off but I took a look at my old "server".
* This "server" PC is an off-the-shelf retail PC I got from my MIL when we bought her a laptop replacement (easier for me to do maintenance since she can just bring it when she comes for visits)
* HP P7-1235 See specs here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03359127
* Runs windows 10; shipped with 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM and an AMD A8-5500
* Only distinguishing feature is that i have two 6TB HDDs inside for my family's data store using mirroring.

I installed the ram in pairs with the new 8GBx2 Corsair Vengence 1600MHz DIMMs in the primary slots and moved the 4GBx2 DIMMs into the secondary slots.

Now under "About this PC" Windows reports 24GB installed (expected) but only 19.4GB available.

Q: Why is that? I figured one of you IT guys might have a pretty good idea.
- Under msconfig, Boot, advanced settings, I tried setting the system memory to the full amount of RAM 24576GB but that didn't do anthing.
- The only thing I can think of is that since I'm using onboard video, maybe the BIOS just allocated 20% for VRAM.

Does that sound right or did I hit some limitation I'm not aware of?
HP's support page for this machine says that it can allegedly address up to 32GB RAM.
I don't really NEED 24GB of RAM (it worked well enough with 8GB) but I don't really need another $60 either.

-g

·
Super Moderator
9,362 Posts
My first guess is what you figured - that BIOS is allocating some of that for VRAM. If you drop a discrete GPU into it and disable onboard video, see what it does - and that will confirm it.

Depending on the BIOS etc. it also may be possible to manually/arbitrarily set the VRAM allocation.

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
Brandon is right; it's the port for video memory.

There's other stuff that shadows memory locations, so they can't really be used, so Hard drive controllers and other unusual hardware can change the reported amount.

Also, processors have memory limitations, if they have the controller on the chip like intel.

I swapped a Xeon X5670 into an older i7-920 system, and now it can use 96GB of memory, instead of 16GB. :) I'm only running 64GB, but it works well. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts