TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a discussion which I can't find on how much airflow we really need under the hood?

I know on the SC's they needed all they could get, hence the aftermarket hoods with real holes in them.

How much does a V-6 Bird need or a V-8 Bird?

I'm thinking of doing some metal work to my 97's hood to get more air into the engine compartment. I'd like some GOOD ideas before I start.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You dont need air in the engine compartment at all, you need air coming through the intake tube into the intake manifold. Have you removed your air silencer yet? I dont know on a V6, but my V8 intake tube flows plenty for my engine.

-Andrey

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I know on the SC's they needed all they could get, hence the aftermarket hoods with real holes in them.
Uh....what are you talking about exactly? SC hoods are the same as Lx hoods, even the front bumpers are the same on all but the early models. Airflow threw the intake tube and the radiator are the most important. You already did the silencer and K&N filter to handle the intake tube. For the radiator all teh air comes from under the bumper so there really is no advantage to holes in the hood for anything other than clearance.

-Miller

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember discussions on the need for airflow for cooling the engine and transmission.

The intake is only partially taken care of for now. I plan a new intake tube, MAF, TB set up. I'm also dreaming of something like Super 6's intakes and heads for my V-6.

I've done the transmission cooler. Except for a Mark VIII torque converter, a lighter drive shaft, and other internal parts mentioned in the Transmission 101 article, I've done the transmission.

Now I may need hood clearance when I change the intakes though.

If I had a SC (again), I know I needed more air for the Intercooler or more like it a better intercooling setup.

I haven't ruled out a Vortech system at this time. They have some neat intercoolers that use fluid to cool the compressed air.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts