TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that a friend needs answered, and he has no PC.

He has a 1984 Mustang with the 2.3 Turbo motor that he is restoring slowly.

He recently purchased a fairly freshly rebuilt 2.3 Turbo motor from a 1986 Cougar XR-7 with auto that he wants to use.

He just purchased a wrecked 1996 Mustang with 2.3 motor ( I think it was a '96 he said) and it has a roller cam in it and an 8 plug head.

He wants to know what's involved in using the roller cam set up on the Turbo 2.3. I think he wants to just use the cam and gear, not the whole head. I think he will have to use the whole head, but I'm not familiar enough with these 2.3 motors to know if it will work and let him keep the Turbo.

Anyone here know?

Thanks...............

·
Registered
635 Posts
i could be an idiot, but in 96, i dont think they made 2.3L. They smallest they made was a 3.8. i beleive the 2.3 phased out of mustangs after the fox body era.

Now, i do think they 2.3 came with rangers in 96. maybe thats where its coming from. I cant help you on whether it wil work or not. I would think you might be able to. Im sure changes have been made ie, carb -> fuel injection. But as far as other stuff, i dunno.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah,

now that you mention it, that doesn't sound right for a Mustang, but I know it's a later 2.3 with 8 plugs and roller cam shaft that he wants to "integrate" with his older stuff if he can. He may have said it was from a Ranger, the vehicle wasn't important ... just the motor.

Thanks ............

·
Registered
635 Posts
yeh i know, ill make a call tomorrow to a 30+ year ford tech...im sure he will know. He hasnt failed me yet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts