TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my 95 - I'm averaging about 20 mpg on the highway. I travel Highway at 75mph every day for about 30 miles - then about 10 at 60mph. I have used cruise control a lot and don't gun it often...The car was bought and used in california, then found it's way to idaho. then down to utah where i bought it.

My question, is the computer smart enough to realize it's high altitude and adjust accordingly, or do you think pushing more air, by ways of making a cold air intake to push the air through the box more directly, would help my mpg?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Where are you located in Utah ?

The computer should adjust for altitude. That mileage seems a bit low if you are stock. I am getting 22- 23 mpg on the hwy with 3:73 gears at basically 5000 ft altitude.

Anything you can do to increase air flow will help the engine be more efficient.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
for the EEC to correct for altitude, the mass air sensor wires must be clean....is it clean?

also, if you are near or past 100k miles, the oxygen sensors that go before the catalytic converters may be on their last legs....wont hurt to change them if you plan to keep the car

lastly, the EEC can be reset quite easily by pulling the 20A fuse in the power distribution box under the hood, then cranking the car a couple quick times.....then you can put the fuse back on and start the car and let it re-learn all its parameters as you drive it....i would highly recommend this along with cleaning your mass airflow sensor (maf for short) with electric parts cleaner

the only things that "push" air into engines are superchargers and turbochargers, and neither of them work wonders for fuel economy......cold air intakes do not push air into the engine....your car has a stock cold air intake that is sufficient for a stock car.....so long as you have a clean paper filter and a clean maf, thats all you need in that regard.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Excellent advice. Maestro

guitar maestro said:
for the EEC to correct for altitude, the mass air sensor wires must be clean....is it clean?

also, if you are near or past 100k miles, the oxygen sensors that go before the catalytic converters may be on their last legs....wont hurt to change them if you plan to keep the car

lastly, the EEC can be reset quite easily by pulling the 20A fuse in the power distribution box under the hood, then cranking the car a couple quick times.....then you can put the fuse back on and start the car and let it re-learn all its parameters as you drive it....i would highly recommend this along with cleaning your mass airflow sensor (maf for short) with electric parts cleaner

the only things that "push" air into engines are superchargers and turbochargers, and neither of them work wonders for fuel economy......cold air intakes do not push air into the engine....your car has a stock cold air intake that is sufficient for a stock car.....so long as you have a clean paper filter and a clean maf, thats all you need in that regard.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes thanks maetsro....I will go get the torx bit and clean off the maf today....i removed the silencer last night...and it started to chug a little at stop lights...so resetting the computer is my step today along with the maf....when i bought it they left a dirty air filter...some days i wonder!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I removed the air silencer last night, and forgot to mention one thing...I found a washer in the bottom of the airbox....a washer!!!!! and some leaves...so cleaned that alll out, and checked the MAF this morning. MAF looks good, but my filter is still crap. I did what you suggested with removing the fuse and it seems to idle better at stop lights, but i could still feel a slight hesitation...at this point...it appears to be air filter related.

Thanks everyone for your help, especially the reset tip...worked like champ!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andries said:
So I removed the air silencer last night, and forgot to mention one thing...I found a washer in the bottom of the airbox....a washer!!!!! and some leaves...so cleaned that alll out, and checked the MAF this morning. MAF looks good, but my filter is still crap. I did what you suggested with removing the fuse and it seems to idle better at stop lights, but i could still feel a slight hesitation...at this point...it appears to be air filter related.

Thanks everyone for your help, especially the reset tip...worked like champ!
Just got the car back....I got three things taken care of...Check engine light was an o2 sensor, they must have fixed the brake and acceleration squeal I had. Cause it doesn't do it anymore. Plus, they replaced the air filter...Thank god for a warranty, they didn't charge me anything.....so let's see how my gas mileage hopefully goes up...will let everyone know...thanks for all your tips! This is the best group I have ever belonged too!

·
Registered
73 Posts
just did it

Hey i just put in a K&N airintake and the performance is much better and if you dont mind the car having a bit of a roar when you give it a punch. So far the mileage appears to have increased from about 1 to 2 mpg and i have a tendency to accelerate quicky. Plus airintakes for your tbird are they only cost around 100 because you practiacally pay just for the filter

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
the only way a K&N improves fuel economy is if the previous air filter was clogged up bad....other than that, its just you wanting for it to do everything that it's advertised to do

so did you just put the K&N panel filter on to replace the stock one? because in your other thread in this forum, you're asking about how to take the air silencer off....i guess im just confused by what you mean by "air intake"

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
andries said:
Just got the car back....I got three things taken care of...Check engine light was an o2 sensor, they must have fixed the brake and acceleration squeal I had. Cause it doesn't do it anymore. Plus, they replaced the air filter...Thank god for a warranty, they didn't charge me anything.....so let's see how my gas mileage hopefully goes up...will let everyone know...thanks for all your tips! This is the best group I have ever belonged too!
change your fuel filter, and "seafoam" the car, as per the instuctions on the can.....if you dont know what im talking about, do a quick search....it'll come up

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh the fuel filter and pump was replaced about 2 weeks ago...car likes the shop a little too much....I think I will be okay now, if it's still that bad...I will look into the seafoam...thanks maestro!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts