TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always looking at different engine parts, and was wondering: What parts from a Continental are usable?

I seem to be able to find conti engines for the cost of a set of C-heads locally.

I know the block is wrong, but what about internals? (The block has the wrong motor mount locations, and has the sbf tranny pattern)

Is the crank, rods, and pistons the same as the mark engines?

I'm going to look at two next weekend to see if they have XR3E cams... :)

Also, I saw a 93 mark motor with an 8 bolt crank; is that likely to be a forged crank? It wasn't changed, from where it came from.

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
A forged crank in a 93 would seem highly unlikely, as that crank didn't even exist until 1996. What you may very well have found is a 93 Mark VIII with a 96-98 Cobra longblock swapped in for whatever reason - my Mach 1 motor came from a junkyard Mark VIII if you remember - . In which case you want the whole damn thing, cams included :eek:

I don't know what the Continental uses internally, but I would assume the rotating assembly is the same as the longitudinal configuration.

The XR3E cams in a Continental is a myth. I wasted my time pulling the bank 2 valve cover on three 99s trying to find them.

·
Super Moderator
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The XR3E cams in a Continental is a myth. I wasted my time pulling the bank 2 valve cover on three 99s trying to find them.
You forget; the set of C-heads I got from Mikey had XR3E cams in them. :)

Thinking about it, I probably owe him a steak, lol.

These are all sub $500 engines; I saw heads online today for $300 each. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Show me a Continental with them inside of and maybe I'll believe it, but until then my personal experience says no. If they truly ever were installed in 99 Continentals it wasn't on many based on my reconnaissance.

Like I said, if you found one with an 8 bolt crank buy it NOW. I'm positive it's got a Cobra longblock.

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
You forget; the set of C-heads I got from Mikey had XR3E cams in them. :)

Thinking about it, I probably owe him a steak, lol.

These are all sub $500 engines; I saw heads online today for $300 each. :rolleyes:

Show me a Continental with them inside of and maybe I'll believe it, but until then my personal experience says no. If they truly ever were installed in 99 Continentals it wasn't on many based on my reconnaissance.

Like I said, if you found one with an 8 bolt crank buy it NOW. I'm positive it's got a Cobra longblock.
I can attest that I personally removed the heads and cams I sold him from a 99 Continental in a junkyard here in NJ. That is the only one I have ever pulled apart, so I don't know how common it was.

And Grog, I'll take you up on that steak when I come down for the eclipse this August!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I am uncertain on the internals of the Continental block, but the block itself, while made by Teksid, is NOT compatible due to using the FWD transmission bolt pattern. It's a different casting entirely. Based on how the RWD transmissions are attached, I cannot imagine you could re-drill it, and getting a custom bellhousing made would probably exceed the costs of just finding a good Mark VIII engine to use instead.

The benefit of the Continental motor is early "C" heads, but with an adapter plate to use the "B" intake. I'm not sure why Ford went with this, unless to get rid of parts, but they're great to get C heads off of, even if they don't have the "good" cams.

·
Super Moderator
16,732 Posts
Well they're not "bad" cams either by any means, all the C head Continentals I've found have the YF3E cams, which are the same as 01 Cobra and have 200° duration, still more than Mark VIII or 03+ cams. So they're worth using if you get heads with them. The XR3Es are only 2° less than the desirable 96-98 cams, which makes them a fantastic budget alternative IF you find one of these Continentals with them.

I can attest that I personally removed the heads and cams I sold him from a 99 Continental in a junkyard here in NJ. That is the only one I have ever pulled apart, so I don't know how common it was.
Fair enough, I think it was a running change, most likely the early production ones getting the higher duration Cobra cams.

Based on the data between us, you found 1 with and I found 3 without, I'm going to proclaim that a quarter of the 99s got the XR3Es :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, I saw C heads for $300 each, and I can buy almost 20yo engines for 1/2 that, lol.

The cast crank and rods in the mark motors is supposed to be better than the rest, so it's not all wastage.

Forged cranks are out of sight; even Chinese ones are pushing a grand.

They usually don't mind if I pull covers, as long as I put them back. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts