TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok im just looking at setting up an e bay account, ive never used e bay before but want to give it a try.

do i need a pay pal? is it totally safe and a lot easier or can i just do checks or what?

thats my biggest question

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
It all depends on the auction, but it would be tough to do anything on eBay without Paypal. Buying mainly, but alot of people won't buy what you are selling without paypal.

I haven't had any problems with Paypal. They haven't gone to bat for me with some problem auctions I have won, but the credit card company did. I haven't set it up to use a bank account, only credit cards. A few people, mainly off eBay don't accept that because of the fees, but most eBayers take it as a fee for doing business.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
You do not NEED paypal, but it will make life on there so much easier as it will not limit the number of auctions you can win. (Some sellers will only take paypal)

NOt alot of auctions will take checks, a good number will take money orders, but 95% take paypal.

It is not totally safe, anytime you deal with an individual person, it can go wrong. In my experiences with over 500 transactions on ebay since 2002 - I have only been burned once and it was for a 16.00 auction. So all in all I feel extremely safe on there.

This is just my experiance and opinion, but I am a seasoned ebayer...

Hope this helps

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
One key to successful eBay transactions is to look at the persons feedback rating.

Obviously, as the feedback rating gets lower, the risk to you is higher.

I have been paypal'ing since its inception, and have never had any trouble with buying or selling on eBay.

DO be wary of emails from Paypal, asking you to click on a link they provide, to update your account information/ password, etc.

This is actually a scam email from a third party, and is not connected with Paypal.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
PayPal makes things soooo much easier when making transactions across the country. (or internationally for that matter) Its safer than taking a check, and can be set up to use a variety of bank accounts, credit cards, etc. I've only been irritated once by them, and that was my fault. When making a large purchase I used paypal meaning for it to go through my credit card. But I forgot to change from the default setting which is my bank account so they tried to get the funds from there. I caught it and tried to stop it, but couldn't. So my bank charged me for insufficient funds. Like I said, my fault.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have two checking accounts registered with my paypal, not a single problem.

Just remember too look at people's "ratings".
It is the number next to their user name, if they have zero, or only a couple...see what items they bought.
Sometimes people make a bunch of fake user names, selling junk bogus items using different user names to give himself a "good" rating, to make him look like a legitimate seller.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If you are selling things of value, be sure to ship the item via UPS and require adult signature confirmation upon delivery. I sold a lady a laptop for $500 and she paid via PayPal. Payment cleared. Fine and dandy. After she received the item, payment was reversed and I'm out of my $500 because I didn't require signature confirmation, which PayPal requires in order to help me out. I have the woman's address and phone number and have tried calling numerous times for 2 months. Score one for the bad guy. :mad:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Make sure you take shipping into account. Many times the actual selling price is low to avoid higher listings fees, but the shipping is outragous. If they don't have a set shipping price, or a calculator to figure out what it will be, ask them.

Depending on what I am buying, it matters. Many times things like cell phone accessories are 1 cent, with 9.50 shipping. I know that shipping it even flat rate priority is 4.10, and they are likely sending it first class, so a couple of bucks at the most. Those type of auctions I usually make sure I buy all that I need and take advantage of combined shipping, or at least take into account the shipping as part of the price of the item.

I understand it costs to package and ship stuff, but it gets nuts. Handling fee of 60 bucks, 5.50 to ship it, so 65.50 for shipping only, over the price paid in the auction.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you are selling things of value, be sure to ship the item via UPS and require adult signature confirmation upon delivery. I sold a lady a laptop for $500 and she paid via PayPal. Payment cleared. Fine and dandy. After she received the item, payment was reversed and I'm out of my $500 because I didn't require signature confirmation, which PayPal requires in order to help me out. I have the woman's address and phone number and have tried calling numerous times for 2 months. Score one for the bad guy. :mad:
Lol you made it sound funny to me.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I guess it's a good time to warn everyone interested about paypal. In the last two weeks I have received two e-mails from paypal saying that I had just sent so and so $600 for a computer. It the stated that if this was incorrect press the provided link and log in. The first time I did. Luckly my Norton Website fraud detection came on and would not go to that site. I then called paypal and found out it was a scam to get me to give a crook my password. I then changed my password. Got another simular e-mail the next day and deleted it. The internet provides lots of shade for shady people. It's almost impossible to stop, and if you did catch them it is most likely being done abroad and would be virtually impossible to do anything about it.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I guess it's a good time to warn everyone interested about paypal. In the last two weeks I have received two e-mails from paypal saying that I had just sent so and so $600 for a computer.

The best thing to do in that circumstance, is to open up a new web browser, and then log into Paypal yourself, not using the link in the e-mail you received, and then see if those transactions actually occurred.

USUALLY, if the e-mail from Paypal addresses you by your actual name, then the e-mail is legitimate.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
this may sound dumb but since im scared to buy things online and do this paypal i was thinking about started a second checking account with another bank and only put about 200 bucks into it and just keep enough money in it to keep it open and put money into it when im going to buy something so i have enough for my transaction and if i sell i can use that.
is that being too parinoid or what?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
this may sound dumb but since im scared to buy things online and do this paypal i was thinking about started a second checking account with another bank and only put about 200 bucks into it and just keep enough money in it to keep it open and put money into it when im going to buy something so i have enough for my transaction and if i sell i can use that.
is that being too parinoid or what?
i think its a good idea really.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts