TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When the O/D light is flashing does the computer always throw a code? I took my car to a shop (Langford Transmissions in Sugar Land) today and they said that there was no code because it is a mechanical problem and mechanical problems don't have codes. They told me that the torque converter is probably shot and that they would also probably need to rebuild the tranny (about $1650 total parts & labor :().

Then I called Transmissions Only in Katy and talked to Bruce and he said that based on the problems I described to him that it's probably the lockup solenoid. He also said that I should take the car to him and he'd look at it for free.

What should I do? I am not in the best financial situation right now, and if I had to pay the $1650 I could only do it on a credit card.

Here is a brief description of the problems I'm having:
The car vibrates badly while in gear and when I try to take off the tranny feels like it is slipping/spinning.

I really need to get this solved asap, any help/info would be appreciated.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Take it to Bruce...

I remember Seabass saying he had a really good experience with a shop in Katy. Barring he doesn't post, Id say take it to bruce.

If the OD light flashes, you have a code.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Take it to Bruce...

GreenBird said:

If the OD light flashes, you have a code.
I agree, if the OD flashes, the comp. knows that something is wrong, and a code should usually be there. Goto AutoZone to get it checked out, they'll scan the code for free. If you did end up having to get it rebuilt, I think Reinhart sells Jerry Modded trannies... not sure on the price, though.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
O/D Light Flashing

Autozone didn't find a code when mine was flashing. A trans shop owner said that flashing light indicates a failsafe mode. I would imagine it indicates a potential problem. I was still able to use the transmission control switch while the light flashed.

I would suggest it's something to have a transmission shop look at right away. The trans on my car began overheating recently (I drove quite a lot with the flashing light), and now I must have a rebuild completed. :rolleyes:

Still...I got 180,000 miles out of it before the rebuild.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Yup...Spring...And More

3rd to O/D shifting was struggling. Case is ok, but there's a broken spring, worn/damaged solenoids, scorched bands, and more....not a "whole lot" for parts, but labor is quite a bit!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine never threw a code

When mine started flashing, it never threw a code. It did need a rebuild though. The clutches were burnt and worn down to nothing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts