TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my wife and I have been looking for a replacement for her 97 Continental for mpg concerns, the lincoln is plainly eating me up in fuel costs.

We have been looking for a while now, I have found an 02 Focus Wagon, white in color, with the aluminum wheels, ztec dohc 2.0 engine, auto trans.

Any common problems or concerns i should have with it? It has 145k on the clock, i drove it a short bit yesterday, and it ran fine as well as shifted fine.

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Interior plastics break easily. They have fueling issues in the 125k-150k mileage range. Be mindful of general maintenace issues such as front end components, tie rods, cv axles, brakes, leaks etc... and be aware that many had a "maintenance free lifetime non-servicable" air filter box. Which was in my opinion garbage at the 50k mark. Imagine an engine breathing through a straw.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris, the inside is really clean and in one peice :)

Everything seems great in the front end, no pops or weird clangs, bonks, or squeaks.

You mentioned fueling issues, what exactly do you mean, plugged fuel filter, bad pumps, injectors?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
welp... bought the focus this evening. Hopefully nothing major crops up anytime real soon

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
welp... bought the focus this evening. Hopefully nothing major crops up anytime real soon
Fuel Delivery Computer Module takes a crap, fuel rail sensor takes a crap, fuel pump takes a crap, just incredibly annoying to isolate the problem child since in stock strategy the PCM powers the pump, the pump delivers pressure to the rail, the rail sensor communicates with the fuel computer and the fuel computer communicates to the pcm, or some such loop of faults. Basically one goes bad in the trinity of pump, rail sensor, module, and it throws you in the wrong direction. It's a rare but known problem.

I'm glad you like it and hope it serves you well.

·
Super Moderator
10,410 Posts
Fuel Delivery Computer Module takes a crap, fuel rail sensor takes a crap, fuel pump takes a crap, just incredibly annoying to isolate the problem child since in stock strategy the PCM powers the pump, the pump delivers pressure to the rail, the rail sensor communicates with the fuel computer and the fuel computer communicates to the pcm, or some such loop of faults.
Troubleshooting this kind of problem is much easier now we have obd2.

Take a datalog of those three things, plus load; you also need to put a real gauge on the fuel rail to cross check it.

If the pump is bad, the computer will have it's PWM to the fuel pump maxed, or be extremely erratic, OR the pwm will vary smoothly, proportional to the load, if it's good.

If the fuel pump output is smooth and proportional to load, the pressure is smooth, and the fuel delivery is crap, it's the computer.

The computer makes the decision of "how much" based on the other readings; as long as they're in bounds, it should be correct.

The computer needs to know how to recalibrate for small errors, and it does; when that doesn't work, it flags a code. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts