TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Instrument cluster swap question...

Hello,

Last year I swapped from the base cluster to an full electronic cluster in My 1985 T-Bird, all was okay, gas tank sensor changed, ect, ect, all work very fine EXCEPT one thing:

A wire normally connect to pin 32 or 34 on the computer is not connected, because I have a CARBURETOR 3.8liter, the DTE function seems work, but it's probably an internal function, but what I will do to connect this wire (maf or map) or something like this I dont have on My bitd?...

Best regards,

Dom.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
uh... wrong thread maniac

·
Registered
105 Posts
So how did you start your car without a key to get in? and I have also unlocked/started my friends ranger with my old key that was the original and well worn.

·
Registered
320 Posts
So what are the chances of taking the new igntion lock key and just cutting the door parts into the key and the key working? Also am I reading this correctly. I have a 1 out of 5 chance to get the right lock from the parts store that my key would work? If that is the case I sound just order in a bunch of locks at work and find the one my old key works and trade mine in for that one.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So what are the chances of taking the new igntion lock key and just cutting the door parts into the key and the key working? Also am I reading this correctly. I have a 1 out of 5 chance to get the right lock from the parts store that my key would work? If that is the case I sound just order in a bunch of locks at work and find the one my old key works and trade mine in for that one.
Just take the old key and the new key to the lock smith. He can cut one side for the door and one side for the ignition. My guy then cut a notch in the key so I can tell which side must be up to work.

Very simple.

Tony

·
Registered
320 Posts
I totaly agree with you. The only problem is that the closest decnet locksmith that said he could do what I want is over an hour away. The local guys are both nope can't do a thing for you. The only other places that cut keys here is Wal-mart and ACE hardware. No to sure about ace but Wally town has a fully automated machine where ut cuts both sides a once. I've ordered in a 5 Igntion lock at work hopefully one of them or the one we keep in stock is the right one. Keeping fingers crossed.LOL

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I totaly agree with you. The only problem is that the closest decnet locksmith that said he could do what I want is over an hour away. The local guys are both nope can't do a thing for you. The only other places that cut keys here is Wal-mart and ACE hardware. No to sure about ace but Wally town has a fully automated machine where ut cuts both sides a once. I've ordered in a 5 Igntion lock at work hopefully one of them or the one we keep in stock is the right one. Keeping fingers crossed.LOL
The ACE guy should be able to do it.

Where in MO are you? I used to live in STL.

T

·
Registered
320 Posts
I way down in Branson Mo the Country music Show capital of the world. Yeah Yeah what ever just get out my way you damn tourist. LOL

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
lol. yeah. the trunk key also locks the trunk release button.... its crazy..

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
since we are on the subject, where can i get the black plastic piece that fits over the key "head"? i dropped my keys once and the plastic piece broke into like four pieces :(

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I installed a 2000 Taurus lock cylinder in my '95 Mustang. It used 8 or 9 cuts, I think. It took 2 cylinders to gather the necessary pins. They are numbered and I swapped them around until it worked with my factory door key.

It is best to keep the ignition cylinder matching the vin in case of total loss of keys. Like it was said there are 5 different cuts for the older models. You can try your factory key in each one 'til it works!

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Just take the old key and the new key to the lock smith. He can cut one side for the door and one side for the ignition. My guy then cut a notch in the key so I can tell which side must be up to work.

Very simple.

Tony
I've never thought of this. I can get one key for my 2 cars this way.......

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ya u still need to get the key cut take to key and the lock to your local Ford dealer and go to the quick lane department and tell them what is going on and show them the key and lock and have your VIN number to so they can see if the lock is original cut pattren or if it is a dsifferant cut pattren. Try that.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Ya u still need to get the key cut take to key and the lock to your local Ford dealer and go to the quick lane department and tell them what is going on and show them the key and lock and have your VIN number to so they can see if the lock is original cut pattren or if it is a dsifferant cut pattren. Try that.

maybe 10 years ago, ford now no longer has keycodes for 98 and older, you need to see the parts dept, not the useless quicklane or service dept. vins are pretty much a waste of time as well

·
Registered
138 Posts
JK69cat I have worked at a Ford Dealership the still use codes for to cut the key and the code if I am not mistaken its the VIN number.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
JK69cat I have worked at a Ford Dealership the still use codes for to cut the key and the code if I am not mistaken its the VIN number.
i am a assistant pm at a ford l&m dealer and i am telling you, 98+ thats it and even 98 is questionable, yes the vin is required butit does not matter for these old rats we play with

21 - 40 of 49 Posts