TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had both of my LCA bal joint replaced a while ago with greaseable joints. I haven't had that many cars with greaseable joints, and I was wondering how many pumps of the grease gun would you expect to typically put in there, when doing a routine grease up??

When I do the LCA joints on my Firebird, I pump in 3 or 4 shots until I start to feel the gaiter fill up and get a little pressured - nothing is supposed to come out. When doing the track rod ends on the same car, you pump it in until clean grease oozes out the top. When I did my new LCA joints on the T-Bird last weekend, I couldn't really feel much happening in the gaiters.

I had one wheel off the ground, and the other on the ground as I was draining oil at the time. On the side where the wheel was in the air, I could touch the gaiter, but it didn't seem to get any more pressurised after a few pumps. Nothing came out.

On the side with the wheel on the ground, I could hardly touch the gaiter, but after a few pumps (literally 3 or 4) I noticed that grease had come out of the joint just by the brake disc. Is this normal, or does it mean that the new joint has a gaiter that's split?

·
Registered
811 Posts
if grease is coming out, then the boot(gaiter?) is likely broken.

I haven't used greaseable ball joints, but from looking at what's in them when they are new, I don't think you would put more than about 2 pumps in it. they don't appear to be full.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
???

1 - 4 of 4 Posts