TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if it is possible to use one of those switch panels that control like fuel pump, alt, ignition, etc. we had one in our race and its awesome specially when you start it (dont ask). Anyways how would the module react to and could i even do it. I was thinkin about one like this one: five switch or like this one: switches w/o ign and start

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes, you could install something like that. I wouldn't buy one that is already premade. Since i don't know if they would fit correctly. I'd make my own out of some plexiglass or sheet metal. Since you have a 97, you'd have to decide if you like your ashtray more than a switch panel. If you'd rather have a switch panel, you could take the Ashtray out and make a din delete (switch panel) out of your choice of material to fill the opening, then set it up like you want. I personally just made a DIN delete panel, and backlit it. I plan to install a transmission temp gauge in the panel someday.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i was to flip the fuel switch would the fuel pump come on...cause it seems like the computer controls all of that. The same for the rest of the switches...will it activate them even though the comp does not?

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
tbirdracer97 said:
so if i was to flip the fuel switch would the fuel pump come on...cause it seems like the computer controls all of that. The same for the rest of the switches...will it activate them even though the comp does not?
It can be done, it would just take some wiring. Why would you want a switch for the fuel pump though? I can understand a hidden fuel pump cutoff switch for theft reasons, but this wouldn't be hidden.

Here's a pic of the panel in my 94. I just made it out of some polished aluminum stock and installed a coolant temp gauge, a 12V outlet, and switches for the Apten flip chip, auxilary fan, and driving lights.

-Rod

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i want the fuel pump switch cause its a coolness factor i guess...i love that flippin the fuel switch hearing the pump whir then starting the car...would it stay on the whole time the switch was on or would it just come on for like a sec like when you turn the key to the on position?

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
It would stay on while the switch was "ON". I wouldn't recommend messing with it unless you know what you're doing. Just my opinion.

-Rod

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i guess i could do battery, acc, start, fan, lights, then for safety purposes but an ign switch or fuel pump switch in a hidden spot to prevent theft...

·
Registered
25 Posts
How do u set up power to give these switches there own power? How would you goin about hookin that up. Wut do i do. Pix please?

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
For my switches, I just use fused power to the switches, then the switches are used to turn relays on and off for the various accessories.

-Rod

·
Registered
25 Posts
racecougar said:
For my switches, I just use fused power to the switches, then the switches are used to turn relays on and off for the various accessories.

-Rod
Rob

How do i do that. thats wut i dont understand.

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
Basically, run a wire from a power source, such as the battery to an inline fuse. The fuse should be small for a switch, like 2 amps or so. From the fuse, run the wire to one side of the switch. From the other side of the switch, run a wire to the signal terminal on a relay (you can buy relays at most auto parts stores). This will turn the relay on and off. The relay should be installed close to the accessory it powers, and should also receive a fused power wire (though the fuse size will depend on the accessory). The relay will have at least four terminals, one + (power), one to the accessory, one - (ground), and one from the switch.

Wiring is pretty straightforward, just remember to fuse all power wires as close to the power source as possible, use adequate gauge wire, and make sure all connections are secure.

-Rod

1 - 11 of 11 Posts