TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, my name is Matt. I am new to the Thunderbird community. I recently purchased a 96 T-bird 4.6. I have had two other Fords, a 84 GT350 mustang and a 90 5.0. Anyways, my question is: Are valve adjustments required for these cars? I tried searching and no luck. I hae had other OHC cars such as Hondas and I did them every 20k miles to be safe. There is a slight tapping sound at certain RPM's in my bird. If so what are the requirements and specs? Thank you for your time and I have learned alot about my car since reading on this site.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Self adjusting lash adjusters/lifters but they can go bad.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
I had a lash adjuster go bad... at 250k miles, and ~5500rpms, lol. :rolleyes:

If it is coming from the valve covers, and not the injectors, that noise could bear looking into.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you. i will look into it. I was currenly looking into replacing the injectors mainly cause he car has 114k on it. planning on doing general maintenance including plugs, plug wires, distributor cap etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
thank you. i will look into it. I was currenly looking into replacing the injectors mainly cause he car has 114k on it. planning on doing general maintenance including plugs, plug wires, distributor cap etc.
You need to buy a repair manual for your car and lookup acronyms in the General Tech forums for the term "EDIS"

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I have heard the purge solenoid make clicking sounds (definitely not lifter sounds, more like an injector click) on my car in the past.
-Rob

·
Super Moderator
11,875 Posts
Welcome Matt. It's good to have another Tbird enthusiast in the mix here. There's a ton of knowledge about these cars here. You've come to the right place.

thank you. i will look into it. I was currently looking into replacing the injectors mainly cause he car has 114k on it. planning on doing general maintenance including plugs, plug wires, distributor cap etc.
You need to buy a repair manual for your car and lookup acronyms in the General Tech forums for the term "EDIS"
:uppoint:

Yea, bee. You should look that one up.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
No need to replace the injectors. 114k is low miles!

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
Here's a 97 shop manual, there's very little difference in the 96 and 97...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts