TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, this is Amanda, PJ's gf. I'm buying new tires for my Mustang, and need advice quick, I know you all are mn12 owners here, but PJ has gotten LOTS of great advice and I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. The guys at Tirerack think 245s are too big for the front. I have a 1992 GT thats been dropped 1/2 inch in the rear and 3/4 in the front. Any one know if 245s won't fit, I've seen them on mustangs before, at least I thought I did until this guy emailed me.

Thanks!

Amanda

·
Registered
658 Posts
I had 235/60/15's on my fox body.
There was no rubbing even when I turned all the way to steering wheel lock.
I did not have any lowering springs. Rubbing in your case would be sidewall related.
You may want to choose a smaller aspect ratio on the tires. Try mabye a 245/55/15 or a 245/50/15. I can't give you a definate answer if they will rub or not. Try posting at http://www.stangnet.com. These guys will be able to give you any information on your mustang.

hope this helps.
danman

·
Registered
149 Posts
ok

245 for the front should be fine, look at any mustang mag and read the spec or other mustangs. 245's are not that wide!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi Amanda -

Keep in mind that the guys at TireRack are only protecting their asses in case some customer gets the wrong sized tire for his/her car and freaks out on them. They tried to pursuade me from buying 255's for my Cougar ;).

If I remember my brother's 88 GT correctly, there is still PLENTY of room with a 245/45/17 on 95 GT's wheel (5 bolt), between the balljoint assembly.

Even if it's close - a small spacer does wonders for allowing a wider tire :).

Good luck,

Kevin.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Don't buy fromt he tirerack if you have a tire warehouse near you....they will matcj tire rack's price without shipping, and mount/balence them for free. then you put them on the car yourself, and you've got a set of tires for what tirerack lists them for.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too late... She already used my credit card and they are on the way... Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks for the help, guys.

PJ

·
Registered
329 Posts
On my LX, i have 245/45/17's up front lowered 1.5" with FMS C springs on 17x8 rims. I get slight rub at full lock, but other than that they are fine. For a couple days I had a friend's 17x9 Cobra R's with 245/45/17's up front and aside from slight rub again they fit fine also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts