TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i noticed my idle sucks. anyway, i was looking around and checking some things and i noticed that if i remove the vacuum line off of the fuel pressure regulator the idle does not change. also the wires coming off of the egr valve are dried, and brittle and when changing out the heater core this weekend they got broken. i started the car and i ran just the same. does this mean the egr valve is bad or FPR is bad. any help is greatly appreciated.

·
5,650 Posts
There are no wires going to the EGR valve. Are you talking about the green or red vacuum line that goes to it?

Taking the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator should change your idle a tiny bit, but not because of the increased fuel pressure. It should go up a little but because of the air being sucked in through the vacuum line.

In any case, I'd recommend that you change all the vacuum lines, as they are no doubt all brittle. This includes the vacuum lines that go to the charcoal canister behind the front bumper. If you haven't cleaned your MAF, do that as well and then reset the computer via the #15 fuse. You could have other problems, but start there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i am talking about the green/red vacuum. sorry for the misprint. anyway where can i buy new ones. also do i need to change the egr. the maf is clean and has been replaced. the plugs have been replaced the computer, edis module, and wires all seem good.

·
5,650 Posts
I highly doubt you need to change the EGR valve. If you want to make sure it's opening and closing, let the car idle and hook up a vacuum line to the EGR valve. Then apply vacuum either with a pump or by sucking on the line. If the engine stumbles or stalls, the EGR valve is at least opening. If nothing happens, you'll need to look into replacing the valve or cleaning out the passages in the intake. But in many cases, the DPFE sensor will detect the EGR isn't flowing as it should and will set a CEL for it. The only place you could get the vacuum lines is from Ford (if they still make it) or a junk yard. Otherwise, just go to the store and get the appropriate sized vacuum line and fix it that way.

Does the car run fine while driving, as far as you can tell?

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Please replace all your craked vacuum lines .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am not sure. i have not been able to really drive it yet. see this car is not registered yet and also needs to have the transmission serviced to remove water i believe. the original owner ran it through too deep a water and he was never able to get the car running again so he gave it too me. it only has 77000 miles and just needs going through. i will replace the vacuum lines as soon as i can. i have gone through and cleaned all the connections and drained all the water out as well as replaced spark plugs. still workin on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts