TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the coating in a TB do? I bought a 75mm BBK Tb and it looks like gray paint on the back of the blade on behind the blade. Is that the coating everyone talks about? And is it just paint? Cuz there are a couple places where its peeled off. Will it matter? can I just get engine paint and repaint it?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Im pretty sure about this, but feel free to correct...

Back in the day, tb's were not coated with anything, and would regualarly sludge up, affecting idle, performance, etc. Now adays, tb's come "presludged" Removing this coating will cause idle problems, performance loss, etc. I would assume it also helps prevent further sludging of the tb, effectivly taking tb cleaning off of the regular maintnince list.
And i don't think it's paint, and i don't think it would be a good idea to paint it.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got any ideas on how to replace the coating on there? Or will I just have to take it off to clean all the time?

·
Registered
443 Posts
heres a solution...remove pcv system, install valve cover breathers...no more oil sludge build up at tb...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So thats the point of beathers? Aand you just remove the PCV valve and put a beather in the hole. What do you do about the hose going to the upper intake?

·
Registered
184 Posts
no dont do it

The oil that goes into the tbody keepr the iac motor lubed
it will work fine for a little while until the car starts shutting of
when it tries to idle.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not an oil its just like paint. Its gray paint. It was never oily I bought a new iac and it was not oily either.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
This is just a suggestion.....

leave your pcv system alone. Valve cover breathers on our
engines are not necessary other than to satisfy the wood factor.

That factory coating was applied by Ford to seal the TB
at idle. I would wouldn't use anything stronger than a dry
rag or possibly windex to gently wipe it out.:D

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I don't know the answer...

other than to say...how's she idleing, how's your
"throttle response"? You may well be just fine...
sort of a "if it's not broke, don't......" situation.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I havn't put it on, Its going on with the new heads. This is how i got it from this guy (jack*ss) said it was perfect but I guess not. So im just wondering if i should go buy a new one or what.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I wish I had an answer...the question is...

is it sealing properly or not? You MIGHT be just
fine with it. Is there a tool or machine to test it
off engine? I have no idea. Buying a new one MIGHT
be a complete waste of money. I guess it comes down to:
are you willing to use it and possibly have to pull it
off after the engine's installed and then replace it, or
is peace of mind worth the cost of a new one now?

Sorry I'm not more help....

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats a good point. a new one is around $200. I think I will try it and it is doesn't work I will then buy a new one.

Hell, maybe I can win the Bullitt intake from the raffle. That would be sweet!

·
Registered
803 Posts
I concur with Thom.
The coating seals the throttle blade to the bore. Only air going to the motor at idle is through the bypass port and is adjusted by a needle valve at the factory to a precise setting. Removing the coating will allow more air than regular at closed throttle and will also allow for a whistle sound. The coating disrupts the air enough stop it from whistling.

Two reason to not clean it unless you know what you are doing.

rm

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the paint/coating is only missing on the back of the blade. So I think it should seal just fine. I know not to clean it with anything but I bought it used from some guy and he didn't info me that he cleaned it. I got it at a good price too so im not gonna complain about it. Just want to make sure it ok to use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts