TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there much known yet about the actual durability of the replacement plastic intake manifold compared to the original? I am mainly interested in the all plastic one as opposed to the aluminum crossover model.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Now I will say I don't speak from experience but if it were much more durable do you think Ford would have paid to develop an aluminum crossover model:D

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I had two "original" plastic manifolds crack.. the first one at 30,000 mi cost me an engine (actually cost Ford an engine)... the second one cracked just before the warranty extension ran out....

But that's just one man's experience.... however, as Timb pointed out, Ford developed he replacement and extended the factory warranty on the 'origianal' for a reason.... the 'originals' cracked alot...

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Last of Breed said:
Is there much known yet about the actual durability of the replacement plastic intake manifold compared to the original? I am mainly interested in the all plastic one as opposed to the aluminum crossover model.
Well,My original falied at 59K miles.The all plastic relplacement is still in perfect working condition and I had up to just over 166K miles on that intake.I installed the aluminum crossover intake a few weeks ago just because I already had it,and was tracking down a vac leak at that time.
JL

·
Registered
104 Posts
With the money you spend replaceing palstic you can get all aluminum ported and gut the intake elbo, wont bust under n2o, never will you have eny more probs.
FASTFORD!!

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'd have to disagree, if you've already got the plastic intake, the cost of switching to the aluminum intake and then having it ported would be outrageous. I called extrude-hone about having mine ported, and it was $400. Add the new EGR tube and intake tube to that, plus the TIG welding on the TB elbow, and a new throttle body, and you could have replaced your plastic intake about 6 times.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Extrude-hone only smoothes out the interior. If you want to port it (remove metal) you will need to either port it yourself or have someone port it for you before you extrude-hone it.

Before i sent it out I would take a dremel tool and grind the casting flash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts