TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my chip from Reinhart late thursday and let me just say I am pleased. But at the same time I'm wondering if the 6000 rpm shifting at WOT is normal? I was busy all day on friday for me to call dennis so i figured i would ask here in the meen time. I thought 6000rpm was way past the point of these engines making power.

All my other mods are in my signature if they matter at all

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
6000 rpms is really high. my apten chip makes my car shift at 5500 rpms and you can tell the power starts to fall off around 5100. not only that, i'm not sure if 6000 rpms is safe for a stock bottom end. are you sure your tack is correct?

Frank

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
i thought that too when i put my apten chip in, but they (apten) said its ok to shift up there. i tell you if you really want to get your car moving put in some 3.73's, its insane when you put the chip with the gears. wow is all i can say!

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think the tach is correct...........i know she's screaming......think with the jmod and a better torque converter it might shift a little quicker?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
i was thinking that too, maybe yours is shifting at 5500 because of the j-mod. i'll find out next week-end cause thats when im doing mine. but anyway, if you dont like it shifting up there im sure you can send the chip back and have them lower it. i know thats what apten told me when i asked them.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
FordFanatic said:
i was thinking that too, maybe yours is shifting at 5500 because of the j-mod. i'll find out next week-end cause thats when im doing mine. but anyway, if you dont like it shifting up there im sure you can send the chip back and have them lower it. i know thats what apten told me when i asked them.
your probably right. if neither of you guys have the jmod that is probably the reason. your eec is probably requesting the shift at around 5500 but by the time it actually shifts its up aroun 6000. i had the jmod before the chip so i never notcied the 6000 rpm shifts.

Frank

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm assuming this is the 3-4 shift. If so, you're older tranny may slip just a little at that point to cause a rise in RPM for just a moment. But if it still clamps down quick and hard, that's a good thing. If you want to do WOT, I would recommend without a doubt, 1) Have the tranny and torque convertor fluid drained, the filter replaced, and Ford Mercron V in place . A Tranny cooler, 24 K B&M, no doubt. J-mods are optional, at this point. You're tach could be off a bit. The torque convertor could be slipping. Doesn't take much to create a lot of extra heat build up. Tranny heat makes everthing happen slower. In the meantime, lay off the WOTs. A Chip is not the fountain of youth. If your T-Bird acts right in the the medium throttle range, that's good. If it shifts toooo quick at low throttles, then call Dennis about the shift point issues. I still suspect heat build up issues due to an older tranny. But then again, Dennis is just a phone call away. Hollywood ED.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
on mine its on the 1-2 shift that shift that high, 2-3 and 3-od are fine. all the shifts are nice and firm and its not slipping, its only got 46,000 miles on it. it probably isnt good to be shifting that high all the time but once in awhile wont hurt it. i'll be fixing it permanently this weekend with a tranny cooler, j-mod, and fresh mercon v.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Man, 46,000 on a 94'. Must be nice! Hold off on the fluid change until you read the the tech article under trannys 101- Jerry's mod. Looks to me you need the updated 1-2 and probably the 2-3 acumulator pistons. It's usually best to find to find a small shop, so when you talk to the mechanic, you're talking to the owner too. Big shops have a way of taking off 10 things and only putting 8 back on, and at the same time convincing you they are the best in the bussness. BS. To update all the J-mods on your 94, and build a buillit proof would cost too much at a local shop. They would not use your instructions anyway. But, if you get a trans go shift kit, with the new pistons, take it to your shop, they will understand that. Now you killed two birds with one stone. Yeah, Dennis can lower that shift point, at the cost of performance, but wnen you do one upgrade, you usually need another to compensate. There you go. Ed

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
well actually when i bought it it only had 35,000 miles on it. got it off ebay out of PA for $4500. but anyway, i read the tech article and the man said mercon v is a-ok for our tranny's. i already ordered the parts, new 1-2 accum, and 2-3 accum along with the springs for 1-2. along with that i also got both seperator gaskets and a '96 pan and filter. the shop i plan on taking it too doesnt charge too much, just $4 an hour for the lift and labor is free. or in other words im doing it myself over at the hobby shop here on base. looks pretty simple to me, pull it all out and drill a few holes. but yeah it does seem that way with these cars, you cant update just one thing, you have to do it as a group (drive train+ chip+ the mod) in order to really see the full benifit. hopefully once i get "the mod" done i'll see that shift point drop some, if not no biggy, i dont horse on it all the time.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah at 6k you can here the TC ballon almost scary....the 5500 is prolly from the j-mod...with the better TC shifting at 6k is ok tho the only harm i think its cuasing is the tc, and if the tc goes, tranny destruction.....a friend of mine found out the hard way why 6k RPMS w/ a stock bird TC is baddddd :(

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yeah i want to get a new tc in there but i'll have to hold off for now. just put in the pumpkin, chip, tranny cooler, and "the mod" along with the tools for that and im seeing the moths flying out of my wallet. i dont get on it all the time :rolleyes: so it should be fine for now.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
So when I get my chip, do you think I should requst the 1-2 at about 5500, 6k sounds too dangerous for me and my stock TC lol. What are the 2-3 and 3-4 shift points at with an apten (or Denis Chip).

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wanna say thanks for the info. I with what was said before i think the computer is requesting the shift at 5500rpm but the ghetto tbird converter don't get the idea till late lol. It's gonna get replaced soon with probably a marauder converter. I'm ordering a 24k GVW tranny cooler tonight and hopefully i'll get a jmod soon too

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
well right off the top of my head i cant remember but at wot you probably wont even need to worry about it. by the time i shift into 3rd im doing well past the speed limit (had to test it out after all). yeah you can ask them to have it shift lower, when i emailed them about my car shifting that high they said if i didnt like it to send it back and they could lower it no prob.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
97Tibirdman said:
So when I get my chip, do you think I should requst the 1-2 at about 5500, 6k sounds too dangerous for me and my stock TC lol. What are the 2-3 and 3-4 shift points at with an apten (or Denis Chip).
with an apten chip 1-2 5500-5600, 2-3 5500, i'm not sure what the 3-4 is usually by that time i'm going to fast to take my eyes off the road to look at the tach.

Frank

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think im gonna request all my shifts at 5400-5500. Untill I get some head/cam work done, there's no reason to be up any higher.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i like the 6k shift its kinda coo....you do feel it pull less though once it does shift...but from 1st into 2nd with 3.27s it puts u in a fat powerband

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Even with PNP heads and PI or Compcams, as long as you're runnig the corked NPI intake, the car will wheeze out at by 5200 max.. they all vary a bit, JL's wheezed a bit lower than mine did with the same mods... With Renegade heads and custom grind compcams and the stock intake, Jerry set my shift points at 5800.. that's with a 3200 stall converter and a Reinhart Bullet proof trans and 3.73's... no need to shift at 6000 until you swap a PI or SVO/Bullet intake on... 6100 is as high as I would dare take a stock MN12 bottom, but 6000 is safer. A Mark or Cobra bottom can go a bit higher...

Here's my dyno curve with Renegade fully massaged heads and PI cams:

Here's the graph of my '95 with stock NPI heads/cams/intake from the SCT dyno session in Miami:

You've got a '96 so you've got improved intake and heads over my '95, so your curve will be somewhere in between those two... Probably wheezing out around 4000 or so...

SCT (Reinhart & Apten)) tunes are generally set to lock the TC up immediately after the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts with a very aggressive lock-up rate, so if there is hesitation in the shift, it is probably the trans not the TC. I suggest the J-mod, Mercon V and cooler that was previously suggested. If it still shifts at 6000, you can send the chip back to Dennis and have him reburn it to be sure the TC is locking up and lower the shift point to 5500, but I suspect that the J-mod will solve the problem. The stock trans, especially with the OEM fluid and no cooler, is very lazy.. Ford figures most normal folks don't want their heads to snap back and tires to chirp on ever 1-2 shift.. go figure????

-mike

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yeah im doing "the mod" this weekend so i'll let you know if it lowers the shift point at all. the way im thinking it should. if not i'll just have apten lower the shift point some when i get a reburn for my lmaf.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts