TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have swapped the factory 2.73 gears for 3.27 gears...are you happy with the swap? Is your first gear useless? What kind of gas mileage difference did you notice. What kind of performance increase did you get. I'm basically looking for impressions, but data like 1/4 mile time improvements or dyno numbers would be cool also.

I'm contemplating the swap and would like to know opinions before I jump in!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I've got this setup. Dyno numbers will not change. Gas numbers will change only minimally. I'm getting 18-20 mpg in the city driving the hell out of it. First is pretty damned useless.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you were in a 1/4 mile timed run, would you use first, or start out in second?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
1st

Here's how my speeds go:

0 - 30ish - 1st
30 - 45ish - 2nd
45 - 80ish - 3rd
80 - 120 - 4th
120 - bout 150 - 5th

That is my rough estimating. Of course my speedo if off a 1-2 mph also. Starting in second is wayyyy to slow. If you gears were taller, that would make sense, but not with 3.27s. Plus, your clutch will love you for not doing that.

Also, your speeds will be different because 94-95 M5R2s had a different first gear. Maybe you will not feel like 1st is so much of a waste.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I appreciate the insight. I'm putting 3.27 gears on the wishlist!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 95 SC 5 speed that I am also considering puting in the 3:27 gears. Will it still get me 24mpg highway. By the way, I am in Ozark, AL.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great! Another Alabama person. We've been kicking around a get together. Nothing is set yet, but maybe soon!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I averaged 24 mpg on the highway a month or two ago. I should get about that much when I head up to South Carolina next weekend. (I do not drive on the highway all that often.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have 3.27's in my 5sp, and if I could do it over again.....I would have when with 3.08's. Your RPM's will be much higher at highway speeds, but the up side it that 5th is very torquee on the highway.

If you do alot of highway driving or travelling, go with 3.08's.

Good Luck,
Calvin

·
Registered
26 Posts
So will the 3.08's improve the car much and are they available for a 95. I thought it went from 2.73's to 3.27's. If so where can I get a set and how much it run to install.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
The 3.27'a are a great way to go. I would completely avoid the 3.55's......the first gear in that set-up is a total waste of time. Don't go higher than the 3.27's.

Just my .02 worth

·
Registered
32 Posts
I like them.
My gas milage when from 22 to about 19.
just putting around in town you have to jump out of first really quick but in my opinion not too bad.

it seems like a nice trade off.

·
Registered
437 Posts
After I put the 3.27s in my '89 XR-7, first gear was pretty much useless for racin'. Dump the clutch & shift into second.

Now I've changed to a late model M5R2 & OH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the tranny that should have been in all the SCs / XR-7s. I can actually hold 1st gear for a while before shifting. The car doesn't hop as much as it used to either. The gears are evenly spaced, so shifting drops the RPM back to the same place every shift.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't realize the M5R2 wasn't in all the SC's/XR7's. I have one in my 94. What I gather is that it works better with 3.27's than what you had?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The late-model M5R2 (94-95 tranny) has a different first gear than the 89-93s. It is much better suited for 3.27s, as it doesn't feel like such a waste of a gear.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts