TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my last test for chem I, and what should have been a relatively simple question is really bothering me and I can't think straight right now. So anyone who can answer it wins a prize...er, maybe just my thanks. Anyways, here is the question:

Calculate the bond order of the N-N bond in the N2(2+) ion.
a. 0
b. 1
c. .5
d. 2
e. 3 (maybe?)

My book gives about a paragraph re: BO and it's not helping me at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Well, I'm a Chem teacher.... but.... its been a long time since I've dealt with bond order. I'll try to look it up to refresh my memory this weekend.

Edit:

Ok, it depends on how you calculate it. If you use a Lewis diagram like so:

you count up the number of bonding pairs of electrons, which gives this bond an order of 3.

Edit part 2:

The other way to do it is to figure out the number of bonding and antibonding electrons in the molecular orbitals. Bond order is equal to (bonding - antibonding) / 2.

The lower part of each pair of molecular orbitals is the bonding orbital, the upper part is the antibonding orbital. There are 8 bonding electrons, 4 antibonding electrons, giving you a bond order of 2. What this means is that my Lewis Diagram that I drew was wrong, and the answer is bond order of 2.

I hate drawing Lewis diagrams for polyatomic ions...

Hope this helps.

Oh, BTW. For my prize, I'd like a Cobra Intake for my 5.0.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Johnny Cougar said:
Oh, BTW. For my prize, I'd like a Cobra Intake for my 5.0.
Psst... Go for the supercharger! Go for the supercharger! :diablo:

I think it's just the way that it's stated, or maybe it's been too long since I've had Chemistry. So, how'd you do on the test?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response....I'll hopefully find out in about an hour when I go to chem what the answer was if my professor got the tests graded over the weekend. I really hope I pulled a low A, definitely possible if I got a couple lucky guesses. It appears I didn't get this one right though. I believe that I put either one or .5 as the answer, I did know the .5(bonding-antibonding) but for some reason that N2 ion threw me for a loop. I just couldn't visualize it.

As for the Cobra intake, I don't have that but I do have a stock 5.0 HO intake from a 225 HP '89 LSC...probably the exact same piece you have now though...

·
Registered
859 Posts
Palmguy said:
I believe that I put either one or .5 as the answer, I did know the .5(bonding-antibonding) but for some reason that N2 ion threw me for a loop. I just couldn't visualize it.

As for the Cobra intake, I don't have that but I do have a stock 5.0 HO intake from a 225 HP '89 LSC...probably the exact same piece you have now though...
Heh, it threw me for a loop after I drew the Lewis structure for it. Just remember--if it is a +2 ion, you put in 2 less electrons into the molecular orbital diagram.

As for the intake, yeah, that is the same I have.

Good luck on the grade, and if anyone else has chemistry questions, I am the local guru.

;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is that for CHS 1440?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn't take chem for engineers, I think it's chem for chem majors but it works...CHM2045H.

BTW does your car have Brevard county plates?

Luckily no Chem II for me...only one semester of chem here!

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Palmguy said:
Luckily no Chem II for me...only one semester of chem here!
Feh, I took Chem III. My entire senior year consisted of...

Semester I
-Chem I
Semester II
-Chem III
-Chem II

I came in to school after lunch and worked late at night. :) Tested out of Chem in College since I took 3 semesters of it in HS. Too bad I've forgotten most of it.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Johnny Cougar said:

Good luck on the grade, and if anyone else has chemistry questions, I am the local guru.

;)
Okay, Mr. Chemistry guru, how good are you at Thanatochemistry?

I had to take two semesters of it in mortuary college. And - my instructor wrote the textbook. Seriously. :skull:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Embalmer said:

Okay, Mr. Chemistry guru, how good are you at Thanatochemistry?

I had to take two semesters of it in mortuary college. And - my instructor wrote the textbook. Seriously. :skull:
I've never done it. But I can help with Basic, a little organic, Physical, and Inorganic chemistry, and I teach high school chemistry. If someone has a question about it, and I know the answer, I will try to help.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Johnny Cougar said:

I've never done it. But I can help with Basic, a little organic, Physical, and Inorganic chemistry, and I teach high school chemistry. If someone has a question about it, and I know the answer, I will try to help.
Mostly it was Chemistry related to death (mostly organic) and how chemicals affect dying tissue.

Know this formula? HCHO

·
Registered
859 Posts
Embalmer said:

Mostly it was Chemistry related to death (mostly organic) and how chemicals affect dying tissue.

Know this formula? HCHO
Methanal, which I believe is more commonly known as formaldehyde.

My organic chem isn't that rusty... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts