TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much did you pay for door popper install , and what brand or setup did you go with??

·
Registered
344 Posts
hey i was....

just lookign at a summit racing magazine the other day and they had that in the electronics section. dont know about the install price but i do know that the poppers themselves were close to $25 each or $25 a set. dont know what it was. look at eh site summit racing

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
summit doesn't have a 50lb solenoid which is recommended for a daily driver and especially for our big a$$ doors. Also the hardware is usually pretty cheap its the installation thats alot. Also barely anybody has a full kit because I am guessing the don't wanna carry autoloc cuz there isn't a high enough mark up so everbody I have found has SPAL poppers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Poppers

electronic actuators that pop the door open once u push the button or activate them. Sometimes used for stubborn doors but mostly shaved handles. Autoloc or spal are good to go w/. i plan to do all that some time soon too. but i might get a good deal on the stuff for mine since i can install it. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey thanks LizGyrl I like these door poppers they sound great. Its always nice to see girls interested in cars you dont see to much of that in the south.

·
Registered
286 Posts
what do the shave handles look like then? Is there no handle there? and what does the dip look like?

·
Registered
273 Posts
more

There are no signs of a handle b/c u have a plate welded on. In place of a handle u use a button, maybe hidden in the fender or the accessory button on an alarm. All a popper does is pull on the cord or metal bar as if the handle were being pulled. Only problem is if ur battery ever dies ur sorta screwed.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Liz, what I plan to do to remedy that is to put two posts accessible in the trunk that lead directly to the solenoids (poppers). This way if the battery does die, I can open the trunk (I'll keep the keyed latch), zap the two posts with some jumper cables and open the door(s). :D

Gotta have a failsafe of some sort ya know.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If the car has a hidden button in the fender I assume it wouldn't be a daily driver. Theres no way I would take a chance on that;) On the car that I had shaved handles, it had a cable that tapped on to the hood latch and ran to a hidden area so you could pop the hood if the battery went dead. and yea it was a show car only.

·
Registered
987 Posts
So I dragged this outta no where, but doesn anyone have a complete list of the stuff you would need to do the door poppers?

Sam

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
there are some pics of my install here http://www.baggedbirds.com/shaved%20doors.htm if you already have an alarm with extra channels you really only need the solenoid kit. Autoploc sells the indivually as trunk release kits. i have the 35lbs pull units and they work fine. there is no popper to push the door out. it didn't need it

·
Registered
167 Posts
www.autoloc.com has all the parts needed to do the job. Also they have other unique parts including seat warmers etc for cars.

check out the site and see what you think. this for info purposes only.

also here is a keypad keyless entry the aftermarket industry.

I have a setup in progress that I key the code and the door pops open. I also have it set that it will auomatically lock the doors.

I have a failsafe back up as well like like Bill where I am keeping my trunk lock.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I actually installed these last weekend - it was a bit of a pain, but I'm happy with the results - I got the autoloc pushbutton kits, ran about $60 for a pair, I think, and I wired them into my car alarm - like the other guy said, if the battery dies, you're kinda stuck, so what I did is move my battery to the trunk, and mount the hardware directly to the battery box (which is strapped in place.) I used the 15 lb solenoids, and they DO work if you get them set up in place just right - if I did it again, I would use heavier solenoids as they're less particular about mounting location. The only thing that I needed that wasn't in the box was a U shaped bracket that attached the cable to the handle pull, $.49 at the hardware store. A lot of kits on ebay and in magazines are cheaper, but they use 7 lb solenoids, which would PROBABLY work if you could hook them directly to the latch mechanism (which I couldn't do for the life of me) so I attached the cable to the control lever on the inside door handle, so not only does it open the door, it unlocks it too. Then I used a relay and wired it to the car alarm, so that whenever I disarm my car alarm, it unlocks the door and pops the driver door open.

If the transmitter dies, then I have the button mounted to the battery box in the trunk, and if the battery dies, then I have the battery ITSELF in the trunk, so I can just pop the trunk with a key and use jumper cables to supply power to pop the doors.

Now, does anyone know where that trunk relay is?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts