TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wife has me restoring an antique chest of drawers to use when our baby comes in september. It has been painted and I would like to strip the old paint and start fresh with new. what is the best way to do this without destroying it? is there a chemical or just sanding?

Thanks!
David

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The make chemical strippers, yes - but I'm not familiar with the brands since I haven't used some in a very long time. Any local hardware store should be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
Aircraft stripper also ought to work.

·
Super Moderator
9,174 Posts
True... it's probably the strongest stuff out there, it'll eat most anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
It's been ages since I used it, but back in the early to middle 70's I used a lot of Formby's Paint Remover .

RwP

·
Registered
400 Posts
I once restored a chest of drawers that is now 120 years old. It had 7 layers of paint! PITA! Had to dowel the legs, do a little fill work, repair the lock mechanisms and such. It turned out great! Do it outside and keep some water close by cuz that stripper burns! Use the stripper and fine steel wool. Give it a fine sanding with the grain. I'm a big fan of golden oak. Make sure to put several coats of clear coat on there to protect it from abuse so you only have to do this once.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool guys thanks for the tips. i'll have to get some pictures posted as I go. worse part is the wife wants to paint it when its done but i think it will be easier and probably safer (lead) to just strip and start over. i've got a couple drawers that need repaired so we will see how that goes.
David

·
Registered
875 Posts
Product called "Circa 1850 Furniture Stripper". I use it all the time when refinishing oak cabinet doors, works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts