TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would you guys do? rebuild the motor..its a soc 4.6...buy a remanufactured 4.6,or put in an explorer or mark viii? all info thanked!

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Put an explorer engine in it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
yup agreed with above post

what happen did the engine finally die?

i know i took my 95s 4.6 out and tore it down and it looked great, couldnt believe it looked so good for 165k engine

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
what happen did the engine finally die?
I'm wondering too... What failed?

I have a daily driver that still kicks axx at >235k... I'm waiting for the engine to go before I swap it. I hate to remove something that will still do burnouts just fine.

I figure the valve stem seals will totally give up the ghost or a ring will break... :)

From peoples' experience, what dies first? (Major broken parts; not accessories)

I saw a GM taxi the other day with over 600k...didn't want anything off that one, lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm wondering too... What failed?

I have a daily driver that still kicks axx at >235k... I'm waiting for the engine to go before I swap it. I hate to remove something that will still do burnouts just fine.

I figure the valve stem seals will totally give up the ghost or a ring will break... :)

From peoples' experience, what dies first? (Major broken parts; not accessories)

I saw a GM taxi the other day with over 600k...didn't want anything off that one, lol.
hi all:)
nothings failed yet...i just have valve seal leakage.....other than that believe it or not,it still has alot of get up and go!

·
Registered
385 Posts
yup welcome to 90-95 4.6s ALL of them have valve seal leakage

the 94 i have has 138k im going to drive it till she blows, i want to see what goes first , just gotta invest in valve seals lol

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
hi all:)
nothings failed yet...i just have valve seal leakage.....other than that believe it or not,it still has alot of get up and go!
i have a 95 and i had that problem, fixed the seals for $20 (fel pros) and it don't burn a drop of oil anymore (well over 3K miles). Its a PITA job but im really glad I did it. Many town cars of this year (identical powertrain) riding around for 100s of 1000s of miles... After fixing some suspension stuff...car has a better feel than some new expensive stuff I test drove...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update on motor....

pf course i had to say something about nothing wrong but the velve seals...i took the car to have the oil changed and found a rather large oil spot under the car before i took it to get toil changed....i asked the guy where the leak was coming from...he said everyhwere it could leak from...rear seal oil pan...everything....now what guys???

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Put an explorer engine in it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
on 94-95's its easier to put a mark 8 engine in if you get headers and a tune. I just put one in my 95. I got some friends to do some really ugly exhaust mods but i got it to mate up to my dynomax exhaust system.

I got tired of putting up a smokescreen at every stoplight too...

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
i have a 95 and i had that problem, fixed the seals for $20 (fel pros) and it don't burn a drop of oil anymore (well over 3K miles). Its a PITA job but im really glad I did it. Many town cars of this year (identical powertrain) riding around for 100s of 1000s of miles... After fixing some suspension stuff...car has a better feel than some new expensive stuff I test drove...
We are among an elite group....those who have put valve seals on a 94-95! I did mine about this time last year, what a PITA!!! So far so good.

Bob

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have 234k on my engine and it still purrs like its brand new.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
We are among an elite group....those who have put valve seals on a 94-95! I did mine about this time last year, what a PITA!!! So far so good.

Bob
Yeah lol, I'm proud of that job. I did it because I also have a 4.6L continental that broke a spring. I had to buy the tool so I figured why not. I didn't like the tool insomuch as you needed a horizontal extension near the camcaps. Also the tool contacted the camcaps near the square the socket hole. I was worried about metal wearing off and getting into the engine. I wasn't thrilled. I called OTC and they let me return it with an explanation after I did the job. The tool was definitely modified (not for the better) from what is in the manual. My neighbor is a ford tech, saw me working on it in the driveway and said his older tool is much better. By that time I was already done..he would have lent it to me...

Both engines looked almost new on the inside. Not a drop of sludge and the cams/rockers had almost no wear on them. Very little cleanup on the valve covers. I even could have reused the gasket, but those grommets were sweating oil so I changed it out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts