TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, this is on an off-topic 2014 Fusion, so I understand if it gets deleted. I've tried a couple other forum sites covering Ford Fusion but it's been two weeks and nobody has the answer. The reservoir/overflow/degas bottle has a pressure relief hole that is preventing me from pressurizing the system. The stock cap seals it, apparently the pressure relief in the cap opens up to the outer part of the cap and where the hole in the bottle is. My Mityvac doesn't have the right adapter nor do the Pittsburgh and autopart store loaner Powerbuilt I've tried. Even tried to fabricate one with a spare cap that I had but what I removed from the cap in order to install the pressure port left it in the same situation as the adapters that don't seal it.

I'm so often impressed with the expertise on this site I'm hoping there is experience here on this subject, too.

My Ford Service e-Manual says to use Ford STN 12270 pressure tester "or equivalent." Trouble is, I'm having trouble finding the equivalent. I'm considering trying to cover the hole with tape but that leaves me uncertain if pressure decay on a long static test is because my seal leaks or the system leaks. Plan F is to buy a cheap bottle on rockauto and seal up the hole for system tests.

Anybody done one of these and if so what test kit did you use?

Thanks,
Jim

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,584 Posts
There are different cap adapters in most pressure test kits. You need the adapter that has the seal in the same place as the rad cap. that will make sure the bottle is sealed when you pressure test it.

You'll need the o ring on the adapter to be below the opening for the overflow. What kit are you using? Autozone usually has a loan a tool kit that has many adapters.

I have a Harbor Freight pressure test kit that I bought 10 years ago for $80. Works in almost all situations. Some times I borrow the Autozone kit. You don't need to seal start modifiying bottles or anything.

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
Using a dye and a uv flashlight helps a lot. My reservoir on Lazarus was leaking at the seam. Also the intake, the Oil filter adapter, and the waterpump, lol.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendations/advice. I've got the Autozone loaner (Powerbuilt) and the supplemental kit loaner. Supposed to fit 2010 and up Fords but I cranked down the adapter on to the bottle as much as I could and still couldn't get a good seal / good test. Almost. The $89 Harbor Freight Pittsburgh kit fit but wouldn't seal, not even close. Maybe operator error, I'll try the Autozone kit again. Then maybe dye. Then maybe reconsider fabrication strategies. Thanks.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX Missing 4.6 MIssing Trans Red
4,584 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations/advice. I've got the Autozone loaner (Powerbuilt) and the supplemental kit loaner. Supposed to fit 2010 and up Fords but I cranked down the adapter on to the bottle as much as I could and still couldn't get a good seal / good test. Almost. The $89 Harbor Freight Pittsburgh kit fit but wouldn't seal, not even close. Maybe operator error, I'll try the Autozone kit again. Then maybe dye. Then maybe reconsider fabrication strategies. Thanks.
I've tested dozens of Fusions with my pressure tester. Can you post a picture of the adapter you are using?

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. You are right, it should work (and I should be able to work it) and it did.

Here is the picture (from an Autozone kit) and here is the update.

Wanted to rule out or confirm operator error so I tried it again. Wet it and really cranked down the adapter as before and rigged up a hose from the overfill hole to a water bottle and it was in fact gassing out of the overpressure hole. Re-thunk and tried it again a little later but this time, screwing on the adapter to "normal" (?) pressure and got a good seal. Was able to maintain pressure to see a decay of about 5 psi in 15 min. Maybe a function of getting the new adapter worked in. I can smell coolant somewhere between the coolant pump and radiator but still can't see any leaked coolant. I'll take a closer look from underneath next oil change.

Thanks for helping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts