TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a t-bird newbie i own a 95........whats the easy things i can do to hop up the performance on this little v8?...any info appreciated! email is:[email protected] ;)

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
The 4.6 is not a performance engine and the Thunderbird is not a race car, buy a Honda.

now, if you're still here, and you are willing to sink some money into this thing, we can make her scream!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Big-Al said:
now, if you're still here, and you are willing to sink some money into this thing, we can make her scream!

i concur. you be going as fast as your bank account or wife says you can.

joseph

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
For $500, do the J-Mod and get it chipped or tuned. You will love completely new way your car drives. You'll probably have some money left over after that, put it toward gears of your choice and a trac-lok differential if you don't already have one. After that you should be in the high 14's-low 15's without even touching the engine. Then, either swap in a PI engine or a DOHC engine-I hate to break it to you, but the 94-95 engine will fight you for every HP. Put a little shot of nitrous on that engine swap and you're looking at 13s.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
I believe SloMo's post is the most sensible and best bang for the buck trans mod and chip from blue oval chips. I've done all the different mods you can do on a 95 and those are definitely the place to start and most bang for the buck.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
My 2¢ worth:

I suggest start out by making the car breathe better, and going after the transmission.

1. Improve the intake (example: remove the air silencer for $Zero, and do something like the Civic Intake Installation some folks do - $50)

2. Improve the exhaust (example: Dynomax system from Summit Racing, part #WLK-17379, $210 + shipping; installation is a simple DIY)

3. J-mod the transmission (parts and fluid ~$100 or so)

4. Add a transmission cooler! (example: B&M cooler ~$50)

5. Use the $50 or so left over from your $500, and save it for a chip or custom tune, or squeeze out an extra $100 for your budget, and use the remaining $150 for a set of pulleys. Then, start saving for a larger MAF sensor and chip or tune.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
SloMo228 said:
For $500, do the J-Mod and get it chipped or tuned. You will love completely new way your car drives.
I second the motion! Been the best bang for my buck so far. The tune perks up the engine and the transmission (still gotta j-mod it though). So, to me, the tune is many mods at once.

The intake tube and exhaust mods (unless extreme) can be added later as the comp with compensate for them, no chip re-burn.

Rob

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no one asked about making it a race car....

just asked about how i could get alittle more h.p. :)

now, if you're still here, and you are willing to sink some money into this thing, we can make her scream![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys! wow, thats alot of advice! ill do the intake thing and ive had a "shuddering" problem with my tranny since i just got the car....i hope thats not my tranny about to go out! its like running over railroad tracks......

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Let's see...intake, J-mod, pulleys...that ought to get you in under $500 easily.

Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well I can suggest a few inexpensive items that will improve performance:
Lincoln Mark 8 Rear diff carrier assembly w/ 3:27 gears once installed you'll smoke both tires,I promise.You can get it cheap in a junk yard less than 100 bucks.
A larger than stock throttle body and MaF which you can get if you go to www.Supercoupeperformance.com/.
Get a muffler place to make you new downtubes from the exhaust manifolds to the'Y' pipe and get rid of the resonator after that. That should'nt be too expense there cause you're not replacing the entire system like those before me suggested. Some of those things can be done in your own driveway "go for it " It's the labor that will kill your wallet.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
First thing I'd do is use part of that 500 to get rid of the shudder. I won't even go into the procedure, as there are people on this board who are WAY more qualified than I am on the subject. But all the performance in the world is worthless without a transmission to get it to the wheels.

The shudder is actually a pretty common problem with these cars. Mine was fixed just by changing the transmission fluid and filter and using Mercon V fluid. But I have a 97 and I think (dont know for sure) there are differences between the 97 and 95, hence my suggestion to find out from those who know more than I do.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts