TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what exactly do i need to take apart to get the water pump off, i see i have the bracket for the power steering pump that i have to take off, do i have to take the pulley of the power steering pump or just take off the screws, please help me out here guys.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I just did this one a couple months ago...

The power steering pump pulley had to come off on my '93 LX. There are two bolts under there that need to come out to get that bracket off. The pulley is pressed on and you need a power steering pulley removal tool to get it off with the PS pump still in the car. I went and bought one at a local auto parts place and they soaked me for $106 for it and the accompanying install tool. Saw a kit with both tools a week later at Advance for $40 - grrrrrrr. You may be able to rent them too, one of the stores I checked when buying said they used to carry them for "loaners". I can send you pic if necessary... Once you have the tool it's pretty straightforward, two wrenches of the correct size, proper alignment of everything and some muscle applied. Oh, and more than a little patience I used a cheater bar to speed things up.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn it seems like a very expensive job.

i think ill just call my mechanic to come over and change it. What was your ride doing that you had to replace the water pump?????? b/c some people say do not change it unless its leaking but im pretty sure its my water pump thats kicking the bucket very slowly. Plus i already have the water pump at the house, soooo might as well change it out.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You don't have to take off the P/S pulley to get that bracket off. It just makes the job easier. I believe you can rent that tool at AutoZone for free. Basically you pay the cost of the tool when you take it and when you bring it back they give you your money back. The job isn't that bad.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
If he's already got the tool then calling your mech may be a little cheaper depending on whether he works for beer or real money :) It's not a tough job, just takes a little time.

I popped a hole in the small hose that goes from the water pump up to the block and since my car has about 125K on it and I couldn't remember ever changing the water pump..... and I was doing all the hoses anyway - why not. Figured it was going to be a quick, easy change "while I had it torn up". I wish I'd asked here first... probably would've waited for the water pump to start leaking. The way to check it is from underneath the car, don't remember exactly how it was worded but the manual says there's a small inspection plug or something on the bottom of the water pump housing and if coolant is seeping from there then it's time to change it.

How'd you get that bracket off Kevin? Only way other way I could figure to do it was to unbolt the PS pump and that seemed like more work than getting the pulley off...?? Just interested for the next time I might have to do it...

·
Registered
76 Posts
The hole is called the "weep hole" and that's what it does. When the water pump fails it leaks from there. I got the bracket off with very small hands and a lot of patience. As I recall there is one stud hidden right behind the pulley. You can get an open end wrench on it, but you can only turn it about 1/32 of a turn each time. I did it that way a few times before I just went out and bought the pulley removal tool. Not the easiest thing to do but it is definitely possible. Another thing that helped was I got the nut loose and then used a 7mm wrench to completely remove the stud.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Hmmm, way it looked to me was there wasn't much room to even get a wrench on the bolt heads, there are two under my pulley. Learn something new every day I guess.... I don't have small hands though so it looks like the tool was good investment for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts