TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right now, I have a box full of random tools - cheapest stuff I could buy to fit single situatins. Now I'm looking to invest in a real set of tools. I'm sold on Craftsman - it's a family-inherited brand preference, like Ford.

I was looking around on craftsman.com and there are lots of 'mechanics' tool sets. I honestly only plan to work on my '94 4.6 and a 2001 Mustang 6cyl (but typically just Fords).

Not to sound like a tightwad, but what would be the bare minimum I could get away with purchasing? And should I be leaning towards metric or sae? Sears has some good sales right now, so I may just piece a set together myself.

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
I'd get a mechanic's set with about 80 pcs or more. Make sure that it has both Metric and SAE sockets (6 and 12 point). Make sure it has 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" drive ratchets. Some deep well sockets are good too. A carrying case is good to keep everything organized.

Try to buy Craftsman tools in sets, they seem to be less expensive than buying each individual piece.

Get yourself a 1/2" breaker bar, and a bunch of 3/8" extensions.

Don't rule out Stanley tools (available at Wal-Mart), Kobalt (Lowes), and Husky (Home Depot). All of those offer lifetime replacement on the hand tools (except torque wrenches). All depends on what store is closest to your home.

Craftsman Set (on sale) Ends on the 26th!

Husky at Home Depot

Lowes

Can't find anything on the Wal-Mart web site.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I got the 110 piece Craftsman Mechanic's Tool set, it comes with only sockets, but it has 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 inch drive. The only socket I've had to buy seperately was a 21mm to do suspension work with, it pretty much has the rest covered. I got the laser etched ones, so I don't have to try to read those tiny engravings, and I got it on sale for 99.00

·
Registered
620 Posts
I got a 248 piece set and I have more than enough sockets for my needs. If I were you, I would get like a 110 piece set.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts