TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I need a flush? :rolleyes:

I can't even touch my steering wheel without it squeaking to hell and back. It's getting even worse. I've searched on flushing it before, but all I ever find is other threads asking how...rofl.

I just hate the noise and it's starting to effect my power steering now more than just an annoyance.

I'd rather not get another power steering pump right now, it's not leaking. It's been full of that mud since 2005. Any quick fix on this to reduce the noise? I heard something about working the power steering back and forth, not to get air in it, etc... but I never got a direct answer.

This is the 4th or 5th power steering pump in this car....I think maybe this one has lasted the longest. (Not sure if it's OEM)

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny, because I searched the same exact thing and didn't get that thread...

Thanks man.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Think I need a flush? :rolleyes:

I can't even touch my steering wheel without it squeaking to hell and back. It's getting even worse. I've searched on flushing it before, but all I ever find is other threads asking how...rofl.

I just hate the noise and it's starting to effect my power steering now more than just an annoyance.

I'd rather not get another power steering pump right now, it's not leaking. It's been full of that mud since 2005. Any quick fix on this to reduce the noise? I heard something about working the power steering back and forth, not to get air in it, etc... but I never got a direct answer.

This is the 4th or 5th power steering pump in this car....I think maybe this one has lasted the longest. (Not sure if it's OEM)

"4th or 5th power steering pump ..." :confused:

Let me guess, the system was never flushed when all those pumps were swapped out? How many miles on the car and it's rack?

Are you using JY pumps or remans?

My '77 F-150 has never had the PS fluid changed, not since 1986 anyway ... but it's just got 101,xxx miles on it. My '85 Bird did have a pump replaced due to a leak, but I flushed it then .... good 10 years or more ago. I just keep the levels checked. Never noticed it looking like mud.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no idea how many times it's been flushed. I've only been driving this Tbird since last October lol. The car itself has about 200k on everything but the brakes. What's the "rack"? Steering rack?

I have no idea what sort of pump it is. I always just figured it was OEM.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's gotten way worse. It does it just driving down the road and I hit a small bump in the road and you hear squeaking. That has got to be the most embarrassing sound when you pull up in a parking lot. I usually just drive it like a bat out of hell just so I can hear my car instead of that noise lately lol. Obviously not a good idea. Anyways, driving with a bad rack & pinion - bad idea? I looked up the part from AA and it's $83 for one with inner tie rods from cardone. Not the best, but it has a lifetime warranty. Is there any way for me to identify the problem without taking it somewhere? I mean I could even take a video for you guys to hear. I dunno what the problem is, someone said something about a belt or something. It started with a D. :p My pulleys are all fine, so are my belts, and the noise comes straight from the power steering pump and everything. Also, the noise is in my passenger wheel well but not the drivers. Suspension work is needed (everything is from factory) but it still goes over bumps smooth...just noisy. And there is some major play in the steering wheel. I can still go straight with my hands off the wheel, but it's getting to the point where it feels like I don't even have power steering.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
There's another how-to in the Technical articles under the Miscellaneous section

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/misc/psteering.html

I used this article to flush mine, it works very well. I also highly recommend the Valvoline synthetic PS fluid.

You may need to replace your PS pump and refill with fresh fluid. It may be to late for a flush to fix the problem.

How many miles are on the car? Or more specifically how many miles are on the current PS pump?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It stopped at 145,264 a long time ago, and when my mom drove it she put about 20k miles in...and I've put maybe 2k miles in...I'd say it's getting close to 180,000 or so. The PS pump is over 7 years old or so, and it wasn't used from 05-08. So probably over 30-40k on the pump. Rack and pinion are OEM. But this particular car has always had problems with the PS pump and it never had this much play in it. I don't think a flush is going to help me anymore, but I'd do it if I had some help.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Turns out to be my PS pump and ball joints. I'll get it fixed soon, until then no driving! (Or insurance or license! :( )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts