TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys,
i have a 95 tbird 4.6 lx...it has 266k miles on it and its leaking oil out of the rear main now.....this mechanic tells me he has to drop the reat end to get the driveshaft off...take the tranny off,the oil pan to get to the rear main seal....is this true???
thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know he will have to drop the exhaust, and the gas tank to get the drive shaft out... I dont know about the tranny. He will need to support the engine and drop the K frame to get the pan off. If you are going that far, you need to have him mic the shat and put in new rod and main bearings too.

·
Registered
836 Posts
he has to lower the tank to get the driveshaft off. The rear end stays put. the tranny will need to be dropped. As far as the oil pan and such im not sure. But if he has to remove the oil pan then i bet he is going to need to drop the front k member.

you beat me ken!

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
No, the rear end and oil pan can stay in place.

The exhaust, transmission and DS need to be removed and the gas tank needs to be lowered. (Lowered -not removed- just lowered).

I have pictures of when mine was done but unfortunately they're on my PC at home.

Now would be an excellent time to upgrade the TC and/or DS while you've got everything apart.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
it can be done by leaving the rear end in or dropping it but either way the pan doesn't have to come off.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Drop the rearend... cuz droppin the tank is a pain in the ass. drop the exhaust, then lower the rearend so that the half shafts rest on the control arms and you can slid the driveshaft out the back. Dunno about the oil pain thing though.

·
Registered
220 Posts
well i'll tell you that from experience seeing as i just replaced a transmission in my old '91 about 6 months ago. also had to replace the fuel pump 3 months after that. it is easier to drop the rear end to get the driveshaft out.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
x3 on dropping the pumpkin. Makes getting the driveshaft out very simple. way easier than dropping the gas tank and all that.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
:2huh:

Drop the trans and then loosen the gas tank the DS will slide right out the front. No need to drop or loosen the pumpkin. That's how Robert and I changed mine. Heck, you've got to remove the trans to get at the rear main seal anyway.

Dealers choice I suppose. Whatever works best for ya. ;)

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts

Drop the trans and then loosen the gas tank the DS will slide right out the front. No need to drop or loosen the pumpkin. That's how Robert and I changed mine. Heck, you've got to remove the trans to get at the rear main seal anyway.

Trunk,
With the pumpkin method all one has to do is unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the pumpkin in place and you can pull the drive shaft straight back over the top of the pumpkin and it pops right out of the tranny. I did he drop gas tank method once, and it wasn't fun. Both methods get the job done. I don't have a hoist at my house so its a bit easier to not mess with the gas tank in that situation.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts

I couldn't get the transmission slid back far enough with the DS in place; it was only about 1/4", but it wouldn't clear. :confused:

I dropped the Diff as well. (EDIT: I had to drop the diff to get the tranny to slide loose from the engine...)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I couldn't get the transmission slid back far enough with the DS in place; it was only about 1/4", but it wouldn't clear. :confused:

I dropped the Diff as well.
Drop the diff, make sure you have the driveshaft unbolted from the diff and then slide the driveshaft back towards the rear of the car. if you've unbolted the trans correctly the trans will come out as well now.

·
Registered
367 Posts
i've done it this way before, drop the exhaust, take the clips out of the yoke at the back of the transmission that hold the u joint caps in, then take a punch and hammer , hit one cap this will pop one of them out, u have to be very careful though so the needles dont go anywhere, then flip it around on the side that the cap came out at and do the same. best thing to use would be brass so it doesn't mushroom the u joint up, turn the yoke alittle, then you can push the drive shaft up out of the way, and pull the transmission, when going back in take some emery cloth and clean up the yoke alittle so the caps will go back in alittle easier, do one side at a time. and put the clips back in. this save some more time so you dont have to drop the gas tank alittle, and remove driveshaft.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
This is clearly the "There is more than one way to skin a cat" Thread :D

The good thing is all the methods mentioned work to do the job.

For me it was easier to undo the pumpkin while working on my garage with the car on jack stands and me lying on the floor. But thats just my situation.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I lowered the tank a bit to remove it too. Then put it in over the pumpkin when I replaced the RS bushings. (I think) How much is he gonna charge you? If it is too much just replace the motor yourself,that if its a possibility.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
While I agree that the pumpkin is probably the easiest way, I would recommend dropping the gas tank. If it has 266K miles on it I would put in a new fuel pump.

Unless you know the pump has been replaced and relatively new.

It is one of those, "While I'm there" type of things. But just my opinion. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts