TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a 99 grand Marquis and wants wheels for it. There's an ad for 4 wheels from a 2000 Town car for sale. Will these fit on the 99 Merc? I believe they are the same size but not sure??? please mail me at [email protected] if you know they will.. Thanks.

Nick in St.Louis

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
MarksM said:
Yes. Crown Vic, Grand Marquis and Town Car all use the same chassis. So don't get rearended by someone going more than 65 mph...
that is correct. The Ford Crown Victoria, Lincoln Town Car, and the Mercury Grand Marquis (along with the Mercury Marauder) all use the same platform. This platform is known as the Panther Platform.

for more info on the Panther platform, check out the forums over at Crownvic.net

Heh....definitely, dont get rear ended at 65 mph or higher.....there have been bad results.... :ztoohot:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Anything from the early 80's to 2002 will fit his car.

Heck, I've got MUSTANG wheels on my Marquis :).

As for the 65mph swipe - which FORD car would you rather be in IF you had to be rear ended at that speed:

Crown Vic,
ThunderBird,
Mustang,
Probe,
Festiva

Notice something in the order? Size down ;)? Yeah - stick me in a Big Vic anyday.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
MercCougarXR7 said:
Anything from the early 80's to 2002 will fit his car.

Heck, I've got MUSTANG wheels on my Marquis :).

As for the 65mph swipe - which FORD car would you rather be in IF you had to be rear ended at that speed:

Crown Vic,
ThunderBird,
Mustang,
Probe,
Festiva

Notice something in the order? Size down ;)? Yeah - stick me in a Big Vic anyday.
I'd rather NOT be in ANOTHER accident. however, I think I'd like to take my chances in a Thunderbird. I'd hate to see a 'killed' bird from a rear ender at high speed like that...but I think I'd rather take my chances in a Tbird than a Vic. that's just my opinion...doesnt mean anything else.

you'd NEVER find me in a Festiva or Probe, THAT'S for sure. I'd never fit! That, and I'd wanna kill myself if I drove a Festiva. That's a car like a Geo Metro, or a small Kia...you'd wish they had come from the factory with limo tinted windows, so no one could see you while driving it. lol

as for Panther platform cars.....

Ford Crown Victoria
A Texas county sued Ford Motor Co. to force the company to tell all law enforcement agencies that Crown Victoria cars are at risk of gas-tank explosion and fires. At least 11 police officers nationwide have died in accident in which the gas tanks of the Ford Crown Victoria police cruisers exploded after collisions. Individual and class action lawsuits have been filed in courts through the country. The Wall Street Journal reports that Ford has recently settled four cases involving people killed or injured by fires in Crown Victoria cars.
(from this site)

also see this article.

doesnt mean they're NOT safe vehicles, as accidents at those speeds are not very common. however, for a large, slow individual like myself, I dunno. Again, I'd rather not have to say 'I had another accident.' I have very bad luck with my cars. Hell, my friends are starting to call me 'Crash'.......not very flattering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts