TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went and looked at some tonight. They're nice but I wasnt as impressed as I thought I'd be. Anyways, according to all the information and specs, the 2008 Focus is supposed to have an optional 4 speed Automatic transmission. If this is so, then why in the hell does it just have "L" and "D" on the gear shifter? Even with the "Overdrive" button, the car would have 3 speeds L, D, OD. All of the '08 automatic Focuses have this.

Hell, my girlfriends '08 Cobalt is a 4 speed automatic, but it says 1, 2, D, then OD button on side of shifter. What is the deal with the automatic transmission on the '08 Focus's?

Thanks

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you plan on manually shifting your focus? gear selection would honestly be the least of my concerns in a 25mpg economy car.
No, If I were to get one, I'd want an automatic, but why is there only L, D, and OD (on side of shifter) when it's supposed to be a 4 speed automatic? Shouldnt it be L, 2, D, OD (on side of shifter)?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
No, If I were to get one, I'd want an automatic, but why is there only L, D, and OD (on side of shifter) when it's supposed to be a 4 speed automatic? Shouldnt it be L, 2, D, OD (on side of shifter)?
maybe there isnt a manual 1st selection, just manual low gear.

·
Stroked and Blown
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno, it's just wierd. Every car that I've seen with a 4 speed automatic transmission usually says 1,2,D,N,R,P or L,2,D,N,R,P (With the little OD button on the side) When I see a gear shifter that says L,D,N,P it looks like it's a 2 speed automatic plus overdrive (3 speeds total)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
It has four gears, it just doesn't let you manually select 2nd. I've seen plenty of car where this is the case.

I have a 5-spd auto and it only has 2,3, and drive. no OD lockout, no manually selecting 1st.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My dads old chrysler minivan had P-R-N-D-3-L.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
http://www.ford.co.uk/ns7/focuscoupecabriolet/-/foc_cc_intro/-/-/-/-

FOCUS COUPE CABRIOLET.

My dad had a 2004 Focus 2.3L 5MT for two years (until some lady wrecked it and he got his uber low miles 95 tbird LX) and noted that it only got around 20 around town and 25 highway. He also noted that the tbird is nicer, drives better, is quieter and gets very close to the same fuel economy and costs way less to insure.

IMHO the current-gen focus is ooglay as was the last-- they stopped making the good looking ones HERE in 2004.

Both the following cars are 2008 focuses, which one would YOU rather drive? I think you guys know which I'd choose.

Resist Ford's 3-bar styling!!
viva la resistance!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have a friend with 2004 Focus and gets b/t 34-36mpg. And I have a friend with a 02 that gets 33 mpg.

Stephen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts