TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to mount my newly bought tires, and have noticed a significant tread-ware descrepency between the front drivers side and the front passenger side. The tread on the drivers side is nice and evenly worn throughout the tread surface. However, the passenger side is smooth along the outer most edge, and practically brand new on the inner tread. This leads me to beleive that there is a camber issue (aka: less camber-a degree less than 90*) Would anyone reccomend tackling the issue at home, or would you take it to a shop? If so, what is the desired degree of camber for our cars? Thanks

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Take it to the shop .. it is probably more than a little Camber causing tire wear - Toe and Caster need to be in spec as well.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Best to check your UCA's prior to installing brand new Tires.

·
Super Moderator
5,133 Posts
I have had the misfortune of knowing one of the best alignment men ever, from back in the early 70's (he's retired now, alas).

After seeing him work, and knowing how most people do things - if you can find a good alignment shop, PAY THEM.

Follow Pournelle's Law.

"If you don't know what you're doing, find someone who does, and pay them what they're worth."

After all, bad alignment can do more than cost you tires and gas.

RwP

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Buck, why check the UCAs? More pointedly, what am I looking for? Also, like you said RalphP, it is better safe than sorry. I'll take it to our trustred shop here in town. They regularly adjust dirt and asphalt cars so I trust them. Upon further inspection, the outside tread of the tire (aprox. 2.5" from the outer tread in) is absolutely smooth. Does anyone know the range of what our mn12 camber should be so I can request this at the shop, or will they know this off hand? Sorry for all the questions, but I am relatively new to this aspect.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Check all the suspension bushings, seals, covers, etc.

If anything looks loose, cracked or worn, replace it before you spend money on an alignment.

I started with these settings, and went from there. Giving the guy feedback is also good; most Good suspension guys will let you try it out and see if you like it.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/suspension/alignment/index.html

There's a lot of good info in the articles.

A good suspension guy is hard to find; I don't know what I'll do when Walter retires... :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts